Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clipsedsm95

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2012
New York
I need major help guys!. I recently sold my AMD 7950. I left the computer unplugged from power all week until I came back home from work on the weekend. My new GTX 970 Came in the mail. I plugged it in and booted up my Mac Pro. I get boot chime sound everything is working just fine. I can even log in. But there is no screen! everything is black. I tried all ports on card. and yes both 6 pin power plugs are connected. I sent it back hopping it was the card and I picked up a R9 280X on ebay but I have to wait for in the mail. As a photographer I need my computer now so while I wait i decided to pick up a R7 360 for now and noticed that does not work either. Now i Am not sure if theirs is something wrong wit my mac pro! I pressed the Diagnostics button and I get amber 5V STBY light on and a few other green lights. does anybody have any suggestions of what could be going on!!!
[doublepost=1462038723][/doublepost]I have tried to both Reset SMC and take 3V battery out and nothing !!

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
All Maxwell card (including 970) will only gives you black screen until you install and activate the Nvidia Web driver on Yosemite of after. You should know that before you randomly install a PC GPU on a Mac.

And R7 360 is exactly another card that won't work OOTB.

Good news is that most likely you Mac is good. And the bad news is that your Mac won't work until you have the correct GPU installed (another good news, 280X should work OOTB).

clipsedsm95

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2012
New York
All Maxwell card (including 970) will only gives you black screen until you install and activate the Nvidia Web driver on Yosemite of after. You should know that before you randomly install a PC GPU on a Mac.

And R7 360 is exactly another card that won't work OOTB.

Good news is that most likely you Mac is good. And the bad news is that your Mac won't work until you have the correct GPU installed (another good news, 280X should work OOTB).

I have the latest install of El Capitan with the nvidia drivers installed before I pulled my AMD card.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I have the latest install of El Capitan with the nvidia drivers installed before I pulled my AMD card.

I assume you mean installed AND selected the correct version of Nvidia web driver. Also, without reset PRAM etc which will affect the driver selection.

Anyway, it's too late to diagnosis now if you already return the card.

A little suggestion is that you better setup a remote control client next time. So, when there is nothing display, you can still use remote control to check, install, select the web driver.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.