Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kieko007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2022
Hello, I have bought a Mac Pro 5,1 A1289 and came with the rx580 GPU and Mojave installed. The person I bought it from said they forgot the password to login so I followed a tutorial online on how to reinstall Mojave to have the password removed. I was able to boot into Recovery and then I was able to delete the Mojave that was installed (although there was another partition that had 2GB of space. I didn’t touch that partition I just deleted the OS). So after I deleted it, I selected to have the Mojave installer run from the internet. After I selected that option, I got a screen that said “a firmware update is required to install Mojave.”
So it had the option to shut down (I don’t remember if it worked when I clicked the button to shut down or if I went to the top and selected the shut down option from the drop down). It also said to hold power button until the light flashes or when you hear the tone it makes after the light flashes so I did that. After I heard the sound I let go of the power button and waited a few minutes to see if it would show a screen but I get no hdmi signal. So I manually turned the Mac Pro off and tried again but nothing. So I googled this issue and found out that the RX580 doesn’t show preboot. So I found this post on Reddit: Mac Pro 5,1 Mojave no signal and found out I had the exact issue. So I followed the link listed by the person helping the poster and found how to update firmware instructions and it said if I don’t have the original GPU that has EFI suppprt, I would not be able to get a video output after pressing the power button until the light flashes and you hear a tone. So I looked up on Apple website and it said what gpu the Mac Pro 2012 came with and I bought an ATI Radeon HD 5770 that was in another Mac Pro which has two mini DisplayPort and one dual link connectors. Before I removed the RX580 GPU to install the Radeon HD 5770, I wasn’t getting a chime when I turned the Mac Pro on until I did the PRAM reset then I was able to hear the chime at boot. So when I installed the Radeon HD 5770, I get a chime at boot but still get no hdmi output. I am using a mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter to my Vizio smart TV. So I attempted to boot in recovery and I’m unable to or maybe I just don’t get an hdmi signal. I can hear the fans on the Radeon HD 5770 when I turn the Mac Pro on. I wasn’t able to hear the RX580 fans working before I replaced the GPU to Radeon HD 5770 when attempting to get a video output to see the firmware update. I checked the diag lights and see the lights green (next to bay one hard drive and was able to see 4 green lights. I don’t know what to do at this point to get this working. Could it be that since I’m stuck at the firmware update (as I can’t see the screen due to no hdmi signal) which is required to reinstall Mojave, that I don’t have the drivers for the Radeon HD 5770 anymore? I can’t boot using command option R or command option shift R at this point either and don’t have an OS to boot to on the hard drive since I deleted the OS Mojave. I have no idea what to do now. Can someone please help me out. I’ve spent the past 3 days googling and reading articles to see what can be done to get this to work but nothing I found worked.
Thank you

Edit: I would like to add that I wasn’t able to see boot when the RX580 gpu was installed and I was only able to get an HDMI signal after Mojave booted and is at login screen.

Attachments

• 1F55E528-5AAE-4A3A-A0BC-07B9CCF47102.jpeg
    1F55E528-5AAE-4A3A-A0BC-07B9CCF47102.jpeg
    46.6 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:

sfalatko

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2016
There is a whole dedicated stickie thread for this topic, please start reading the whole first post very carefully, don't just skim it:

Reactions: Kieko007

Kieko007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2022
There is a whole dedicated stickie thread for this topic, please start reading the whole first post very carefully, don't just skim it:

Thank you! I was able to get the Mac Pro to boot via High Sierra installer USB and the RX580 GPU plugged it. Now I get an HDMI Signal. I guess all I needed to do was use a mac to make a usb installer downloaded from mac App Store and that’s it.

Thank you!

Reactions: sfalatko
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.