Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tomatomic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
Howdy all!

This has probably been asked a number of times, but I cant seem to find a search result that inspires a lot of confidence for accurate information.

At the risk of violating mac rumors policies, im asking if its possible to modify a vega 56 to show a boot screen, as is possible with other cards, for sure (Im running a modified PC 7950 right now without issues, and have seen people selling RX580s with apple boot screens).

I dual boot with windows, and really dont want to lose the boot screen. Im even willing to install clover, if absolutely necessary.

Thing is, my old source, netkas dot org, is down, and instead have read all sorts of opinions and forum posts from all over the web, but how do I know they are for sure accurate??

So, if any of you have seen the boot screen work successfully, please point me in the right direction on how I can do this myself. And no, im not keen on paying macvidcards $175 to do it for me. ;-)

TLDR, is it possible at all to get a boot screen with Vega 56 on a Mac Pro 5,1? if so, how?

Thanks!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.