Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zuul47

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2022
Hello. I have a Mac Pro Mid-2010 (5,1) that i recently upgraded to Mojave after installing a Sapphire RX 580. I tried using a Catalina Patcher to upgrade and when i went to try and do Option/Alt for the boot menu it didn't work. I saw a post online that doing: sudo nvram manufacturing-enter-picker=true would do the trick. I went ahead and did that but now the machine won't boot into anything. I get the start-up chime but nothing after that. Has anyone experienced this?

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
You don't have a boot screen (pre boot graphics).

Do a full nvram reset (hold cmd-alt-p-r) to zap the setting you did.

Check out RefindPlus for getting a boot screen with Mojave or OpenCore if you want to install newer systems than Mojave in the future

Reactions: zuul47

zuul47

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2022
Thank you Macschrauber, after looking through forums, after posting, i saw some people recommended holding it down for 3-4 chimes. Will i need to do this?

zuul47

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2022
You don't have a boot screen (pre boot graphics).

Do a full nvram reset (hold cmd-alt-p-r) to zap the setting you did.

Check out RefindPlus for getting a boot screen with Mojave or OpenCore if you want to install newer systems than Mojave in the future
Thank you Macschrauber, after looking through forums, after posting, i saw some people recommended holding it down for 3-4 chimes. Will i need to do this?

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
Do you have a Nehalem or Westmere CPU.
As newer OS's (than Mojave) arn't supported with OpenCore on Nehalem CPU's.

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
holding it down for 3-4 chimes
This is not a definite requirement and two chimes should be enough.
If the second chime is noticeably loader than the first, then the NVRAM has been cleared.
However, holding for more chimes makes sure it has definitely worked.

zuul47

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2022
Do you have a Nehalem or Westmere CPU.
As newer OS's (than Mojave) arn't supported with OpenCore on Nehalem CPU's.
Mine has the 2x 2.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5620 “Westmere” processors

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
newer OS's (than Mojave) arn't supported with OpenCore on Nehalem
As already told you once before, that is false information.
Not sure what your aim is but you should really desist from delibrately spreading such falsehoods.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
As already told you once before, that is false information.
You should really desist from delibrately spreading such.
From what I have read in the wiki (on THIS site) it says otherwise in the 'requirements'.
I have only quoted what I have taken to be correct information.
(if it is wrong someone should update it).

650B4DAD-6EAB-40E5-8994-4E9E7DA9D67F.jpeg

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
it says otherwise in the 'requirements'.
All you have done is point to requirements for ONE (1) specific way of implementing OpenCore out of several. Regardless, what it says is that while that way works for a variety of units, it is targeted at those with the parameters listed. It doesn't say OpenCore does not work on those that do not have those specs (actually implies it can be used on such) and not sure how you came to that conclusion from what was written.

Do you use OpenCore to start with before advising people on Opencore details?

Reactions: MarkC426

Soba

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2003
Rochester, NY
@Dayo In fairness to @MarkC426, I re-read the wiki post containing that table and I also found the phrasing a bit unclear. I edited the post and clarified (I hope) that those are not OpenCore requirements and are simply assumptions about the user's hardware when following the guide. I hope this is helpful to others in the future.

@zuul47 We got a bit off-topic, but let us know if you need further help in getting your system to boot again.

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
I edited the post
Unfortuantely, your edit has wrongly changed the meaning of what was originally written.

The information there was always talking about that guide and that guide alone. It said the guide generally applies to legacy Macs but is specifically targeted at those in the list.

You have now changed this to basically say while OpenCore works for others, that specific guide only works for units with the specs in the list; which is inaccurate.

EDIT:
Amended to hopefully remove the issue

Last edited:

Soba

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2003
Rochester, NY
Unfortuantely, your edit has wrongly changed the meaning of what was originally written.

The information there was always talking about that guide and that guide alone. It said the guide generally applies to legacy Macs but is specifically targeted at those in the list.

You have now changed this to basically say while OpenCore works for others, that specific guide only works for units with the specs in the list; which is inaccurate.

The meaning of the original phrasing was extraordinarily unclear, especially given the table header that lists certain hardware as a "requirement" when in fact that hardware is not a requirement of either the guide or OpenCore. If you wish to make further changes, I suggest changing the table header.

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
This is not a definite requirement and two chimes should be enough.
If the second chime is noticeably loader than the first, then the NVRAM has been cleared.
However, holding for more chimes makes sure it has definitely worked.

The multiple nvram resets forces the garbage collection what also clears all deleted variables and empties the second stream. So it is sometimes a problem solver for nvram problems.

I am not sure if the variables what OpenCore LauncherOption full writes also gets cleared with a single nvram reset. I guess not.

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
The meaning of the original phrasing was extraordinarily unclear ... I suggest changing the table header.
It is only unclear when the lead-in sentence is not read or misread.

The sentence had a subject, "this guide" and not "OpenCore". It said the subject of the sentence, "this guide", applied to legacy Macs in general. However, the subject of the sentence, "this guide", was specifically targeted at stuff that met the requirements set out in the table that followed.

I suppose the use of "requirement" in the table was not the greatest choice but minor unless the lead-in is ignored or another totally different subject arbitrarily inserted as seems to have happened.

No further updates from me. Will leave to @cdf to amend as/if he sees fit.

Last edited:
Reactions: cdf

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
The multiple nvram resets forces the garbage collection what also clears all deleted variables and empties the second stream.
At the risk of further derailing the thread, the whole multiple NVRAM reset thing is not quite a slam dunk thing as @Syncretic explained in some other post a while back. In any case, the OP just needs to zap a regular variable.

EDIT
Post referenced above: https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/31015729
No evidence of anything counting NVRAM resets to decide on doing something different

Last edited:
Reactions: EdMun

zuul47

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2022
At the risk of further derailing the thread, the whole multiple NVRAM reset thing is not quite a slam dunk thing as @Syncretic explained in some other post a while back. In any case, the OP just needs to zap a regular variable.

EDIT
Post referenced above: https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/31015729
No evidence of anything counting NVRAM resets to decide on doing something different
I tried the nvram reset and still nothing. Does the diagnostic lights show anything?

Attachments

• 1306A22F-EB7B-4D14-92C6-B44CDCBEDECD.jpeg
    1306A22F-EB7B-4D14-92C6-B44CDCBEDECD.jpeg
    574.5 KB · Views: 71

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
I tried the nvram reset
Did you hear a chime ? If so, how many?

If not chiming, as seems likely given the lights, then the issue is not just with the GPU stuck on the Start Manager which it cannot display and you instead likely have a brick. You will need to send a PM to @tsialex in that case to go through your options. If not chiming though, not sure how you did a reset.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.