Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Thanks.

Any recommendations how to recondition an APFS boot drive on a SM951 blade that has degraded write performance?
The only app that claims to fix this is DigLloyd's disk tester but it has not been updated since the introduction of APFS.
Would just erasing the APFS volume and recreate it help?
I don't have an easy answer to this, but this is what I found that works:
  • Backup/Clone your SM951-AHCI
  • Erase the SM951-AHCI
  • Format it with HFS+
  • Install Sierra/High Sierra with HFS+ using startosinstall
  • Boot single user
  • Run fsck -fy
  • Restore SM951-AHCI
Since I have several SM951-AHCI 128/256/512GB and I have to do this from time to time, I once did all the process with a SM951-AHCI 128GB then cloned the install to a SATA disk, so when I need to repair the speed I just have to clone it to the blades.

Another tip is to never fully fill the blade, with 25% of free space the TRIM bug seems to take a lot longer to show itself.

Cecco

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2008
A lot of work. I'd probably switch to 970 Pro blades.

On a 140.0.0.0.0 boot ROM the Mac Pro should be able to boot from the 970 Pro, right?

jsts

macrumors member
May 20, 2011
Georgia
It can be a little easier:
  • Backup/Clone your SM951-AHCI
  • Boot from Backup
  • Run Disk Utility -> First Aid on your SM951-AHCI. It runs several repair and cleanup routines during this SSD check. One of the last ones is the Trim Command ("Trimming unused blocks")
TrimCommand.jpeg
  • Reboot
  • Restore SM951-AHCI from Backup if needed
https://macessence.com/disk-utility-trim-cleanup-macos-sierra/

Ohmzz

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2020
Mac Pro 5,1
I installed Mojave on my Mac Pro, it runs fine for a few hours and sometimes longer then bam! It just becomes unresponsive, everything takes ages to do anything. eg: You a right click then 15+ seconds later the menu shows, move a window same things, has anyone else had this issue?

I have the same issue without the raid system!

Do i realy need to downgrade to HS again or is there a solution to fix?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-05-09 at 20.43.15.png
    Screenshot 2020-05-09 at 20.43.15.png
    30.1 KB · Views: 73

Cecco

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2008
Sounds silly but backup your Photos library, delete it and test if the slowdown still occurs.

If it helps restore the library and delete content, especially videos until the slowdown doesn‘t occure any more.

Cjbaz73

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2021
All appears to be working after cloning to the NVMe and updating to 14.1 then 14.2

NVMe in Slot 3: PCIe 2.0 (x4)

Boot time has increased somewhat... Other than that all good.

Feels faster.
View attachment 816232 View attachment 816233
So this was your final workaroud? I have the exact same specs as you do with the RX 580, 8GB card... Im running a OWC PCIe card with a 500GB as my boot drive. Ive got spin ups in the sleds for data. I have the same slow down issues since about Mojave. I saw mass speed increase when I went to the 3.46Ghz under High Sierra, but it seems diminished after updating to Mojave. (an OsX version made hardware compliant with Metal etc) Now, Ive done SMC resets and reinstalled Mojave which is horrible anyways in my decade of prior APple experince. Im still having issues, albeit the bugs are not consistent at all. Photos is a horrible thing to keep running on my 6 devices and may be the culprit even when not running or being accessed?!?!?!? Thanks man! [fellow editor here]
Screen Shot 2021-04-21 at 10.55.12 AM.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.