Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

indgy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2024
United Kingdom
It's taken the best part of the day but I've now got Monterey installed on my Mac Pro 5,1 with AMD W5700, I pretty much followed the install from 'Opencore Legacy Patcher' however I got stuck in a boot loop and ended up resetting nvram 3 times in a row.. after that it wouldn't boot at all so I installed my GT120, started everything up again, then the installer started but crashed after the second screen (after language choice), so I swapped the W5700 back in and the installer completed but the UI was very slow.

Now the gpu is showing as 'No Kext Loaded' and performance is degraded, effects etc.. are not working.

I was under the impression that the W5700 driver was built in to macOS Catalina and above, is there anything else I need to do to enable this GPU, have I screwed something up in the install by using the GT120?

Is there anything I can tweak in Opencore or can I manually download / extract the drivers from the macOS installer?

I'm kind of stuck as to the best course of action, any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Here's some shots of the system info just after the install.

pci.jpg
graphics-displays.jpg

overview.jpg

indgy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2024
United Kingdom
I have noticed that I do not have some relevant looking kexts in the /System/Library/Extensions folder

AMDRadeonX5000.kext
AMDRadeonX5000HWServices.kext

I’m not sure if they are meant to be installed by Monterey and somehow they were missed.

I’m going to try extracting them from the installer and copying over manually.

maldo1982

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2024
Hi, were you able to figure out your problem with the W5700? I order that exact Gpu and I should get it within the next few days and I pretty much have the same set up as you with the exception that I am running Martin Lo package on Monterey.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
System extensions are in /System/Library/Extensions/
You might want to use OCLP to reinitialize EFI with Build and Install OpenCore since that looks at your configuration. You will not have to reinstall macOS.
As a precaution, after a reboot, you can also check Post-Install Root Patch to see, whether you need that. You likely do not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.