Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Forbesie2k

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2017
Hi everyone. I'm looking for some assistance in resolving crashing issues that are occurring on my MP 5,1 setup:

Version: OS X 10.12.6 (16G29)
Processor: 3.46 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon
Memory: 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Boot drive: OWC Mercury Accelsior PCIe 1TB SSD (with possibility to load into bootcamp/Windows partition)

I today purchased a GALAX GTX 1050TI 4GB EXOC to replace my ATI 5770 that originally came with the MP. I installed the 10.12.6 NVIDIA web driver "378.05.05.25f01 (16G29)" - which I believe to be the correct version, as the card is working on booting up. I also installed KextBeast to then install the two kext Lilu.kext and NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext files (which i believe are to ensure that the MP boots using the NVIDIA GPU driver)

I used the existing single mini 6-pin to 6-pin power cable that the 5770 used to power the 1050ti.

Upon running X-Plane 10, and after everything has loaded, if I try to do anything i.e change view, zoom in/out, then X-Plane either crashes, or the whole system does - by crashing, I mean I get a black screen, with the only option to press in the power button to perform a forced shut down and restart.

X-Plane isn't showing any files within its own crash reports folder, however the MP does - please see attached...

Essentially, I'd like to:

• Understand what is causing the crashing,
  • Be advised how to resolve it,
  • Tell me if I'm flogging a dead horse for even trying to use the 1050ti
  • Recommend a better solution that isn't going to cause these problems due to compatibility

Attachments

• X-Plane_2017-11-02-221428_Mac-Pro.txt
    70.5 KB · Views: 588

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Hi everyone. I'm looking for some assistance in resolving crashing issues that are occurring on my MP 5,1 setup:

Version: OS X 10.12.6 (16G29)
Processor: 3.46 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon
Memory: 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Boot drive: OWC Mercury Accelsior PCIe 1TB SSD (with possibility to load into bootcamp/Windows partition)

I today purchased a GALAX GTX 1050TI 4GB EXOC to replace my ATI 5770 that originally came with the MP. I installed the 10.12.6 NVIDIA web driver "378.05.05.25f01 (16G29)" - which I believe to be the correct version, as the card is working on booting up. I also installed KextBeast to then install the two kext Lilu.kext and NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext files (which i believe are to ensure that the MP boots using the NVIDIA GPU driver)

I used the existing single mini 6-pin to 6-pin power cable that the 5770 used to power the 1050ti.

Upon running X-Plane 10, and after everything has loaded, if I try to do anything i.e change view, zoom in/out, then X-Plane either crashes, or the whole system does - by crashing, I mean I get a black screen, with the only option to press in the power button to perform a forced shut down and restart.

X-Plane isn't showing any files within its own crash reports folder, however the MP does - please see attached...

Essentially, I'd like to:

• Understand what is causing the crashing,
  • Be advised how to resolve it,
  • Tell me if I'm flogging a dead horse for even trying to use the 1050ti
  • Recommend a better solution that isn't going to cause these problems due to compatibility

Your report very clearly indicate that "Graphics hardware encountered an error and was reset".

I personally will prefer to boot to Windows, do some stress test. If the GPU is good, and didn't crash in any games (or simply the X-plane Windows version). Then obviously it is software issue.

In this case, I think you better send this report to Nvidia and X-plane team to let them fix it.

Reactions: ActionableMango

Forbesie2k

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2017
Your report very clearly indicate that "Graphics hardware encountered an error and was reset".

I personally will prefer to boot to Windows, do some stress test. If the GPU is good, and didn't crash in any games (or simply the X-plane Windows version). Then obviously it is software issue.

In this case, I think you better send this report to Nvidia and X-plane team to let them fix it.

Hi and thanks for your reply. I ended up installing the drivers etc in Windows, but it wouldn't show anything on the screen at all. I tried another few times to try and get the card to then work in OS X, and again nothing displayed. The white fan lights were still powering on though.

I checked iStat menus when I got back from work today, and found that the 1050TI managed to register itself as maxing out at peak loading of 6.9 at 22:47 last night (being around the last time it worked). I ended up going back to the store and they returned it for me - of which I then used the credit note and a further payment to get an MSI RX580, which has been flawless in its testing and use tonight.

Reactions: h9826790

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
GTX 10xx cards exhibit extreme glitches under OSX, with maybe the exception of GTX 1080s. I forfeited my GTX 1060 because of graphical glitches which could appear after wake-up and cause my computer to not be usable until I logged out and in again.

My advice to Mac Pro users is to avoid GTX 1050, 1060, and 1070 video cards (of all brands). I've switched to AMD because I wanted a modern and powerful GPU which would run OOTB and do so well. I bought an RX 580 8GB to replace my GTX 1060 6GB. So far, it's been running phenomenally under Sierra; in fact, it has also been substantially better within Windows. I play an intensive, real-time soft body physics simulator called BeamNG.Drive, and my GTX 1060 struggled to play it. Even with acceptable FPS, my game was stuttering and chopping. I had initially blamed it on the nature of my Xeons, until I popped in the RX 580 and gave it a go. Now? generally-stable 60FPS with normal settings (vs. the prior stuttering and skipping even at the lowest graphical settings).

My 1060 just failed at processing the environments put forth by that game. I am assuming that X-Plane would behave in a similar way. And, of course, my OSX experience was that and worse.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
The fact that the card doesn't work at all, even in Windows, tells me that it isn't an OS X driver issue. It might be a bad card or perhaps there is something unusual in the Galax firmware that makes it problematic on a Mac Pro. I would return it.

I'd also get a different card as others have suggested. I did a quick search of "1050ti" in this subforum and it doesn't look good.

Reactions: Forbesie2k

William Payne

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2017
Wanganui, New Zealand.
GTX 10xx cards exhibit extreme glitches under OSX, with maybe the exception of GTX 1080s. I forfeited my GTX 1060 because of graphical glitches which could appear after wake-up and cause my computer to not be usable until I logged out and in again.

My advice to Mac Pro users is to avoid GTX 1050, 1060, and 1070 video cards (of all brands). I've switched to AMD because I wanted a modern and powerful GPU which would run OOTB and do so well. I bought an RX 580 8GB to replace my GTX 1060 6GB. So far, it's been running phenomenally under Sierra; in fact, it has also been substantially better within Windows. I play an intensive, real-time soft body physics simulator called BeamNG.Drive, and my GTX 1060 struggled to play it. Even with acceptable FPS, my game was stuttering and chopping. I had initially blamed it on the nature of my Xeons, until I popped in the RX 580 and gave it a go. Now? generally-stable 60FPS with normal settings (vs. the prior stuttering and skipping even at the lowest graphical settings).

My 1060 just failed at processing the environments put forth by that game. I am assuming that X-Plane would behave in a similar way. And, of course, my OSX experience was that and worse.

Which really asks what is different between those and the 1080's. I know for a fact that the stock gt120's have no issues with the web drivers.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
Which really asks what is different between those and the 1080's. I know for a fact that the stock gt120's have no issues with the web drivers.

I am not sure if the difference, but they just happen to operate - in conjunction with OSX drivers - with fewer glitches. GRANTED, that doesn't necessarily mean that the GTX 1080 is going to perform at its best or close to it, nor does it mean that the GTX 1080 won't exhibit any glitches whatsoever. All that I know is that the 1080s do better than all other 10xx cards. If someone must go with high-end NVIDIA, he should only go with the 1080 (or, perhaps go with a GTX 980).

The stock GT 120 is meant for the Mac Pro; it has specific built-in drivers with which it operates. There's no comparing a GT 120's operation to that of a GTX 10xx card. Most non-flashed and unsupported NVIDIA cards rely on Web drivers. And, even those which can use built-in OSX drivers will not necessarily run as well as they could within Windows (if not flashed).

Reactions: Forbesie2k

Forbesie2k

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2017
The fact that the card doesn't work at all, even in Windows, tells me that it isn't an OS X driver issue. It might be a bad card or perhaps there is something unusual in the Galax firmware that makes it problematic on a Mac Pro. I would return it.

It was working at first, but then appeared to spike and die. As to what exactly caused it, I have not idea. I'm not that knowledgable to know how to overclock, and the 1050ti was used straight OOTB. I did ask if they shop had had any/many returns of the 1050ti when I took my one back. They wouldn't say exactly why the others were returned, but they did say that they hadn't had any back for the same issues I had - they also mentioned that they don't really deal with many MAC users in that store either.

My honest belief is that it just failed. However, it'd have been good to know why, so as to be able to potentially warn others.

I'd also get a different card as others have suggested. I did a quick search of "1050ti" in this subforum and it doesn't look good.

Its strange how some people have installed them (with what appears to be no issues), but others seem to have no ends to problems.

The MSI RX580 has been and continues to work like a dream. I know its not really comparable, but my old card didn't hit above 20FPS within the London region with the add-ons and scenery that I use (and even less on the ground). Since installing the RX580, I'm getting unbelievable results - currently getting 100-110FPS in the air - which I honestly thought would have been impossible!!!

For anyone that wants a card specifically to use for X-Plane on a Mac Pro, I can't recommend the RX580 enough! :)

REDOV

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2018

Do AMD Gpu work fine. rx480 which is equivalent to gtx 1060. Planning to change my gpu on my 5,1 was going with a geforce 10xx but now that a lot of people saying it is bad, thinking about AMD.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Do AMD Gpu work fine. rx480 which is equivalent to gtx 1060. Planning to change my gpu on my 5,1 was going with a geforce 10xx but now that a lot of people saying it is bad, thinking about AMD.

Also lots of people report good experiences with the 10xx card. I use my 1080Ti for more than 3 months now, very flawless. One of the theory is that you should try to get a card that using reference PCB, which may be the only card that Nvidia tester with their web driver.

However, if your target is the 1060, I agree that you should simply go for the RX580. Which is a much simpler solution. The availibility of the Apple driver is secured by the existence of the eGPU developer kit. And the OS, or all other Apple software should have better optimisation toward the AMD card as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.