Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

louissellers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2023
Hi there,

I'm hoping someone can help - I'm experiencing a strange fan issue with my graphics card that I purchased in 2020. It seems to intermittently turn on at the highest speed at random intervals - I've also noticed that just one fan does this instead of both. In fact, one fan isn't even spinning.

Any idea how I remedy the issue?

Kind regards,
Louis

Attachments

• Image.jpeg
    Image.jpeg
    85.5 KB · Views: 114
  • Image-2.jpeg
    Image-2.jpeg
    335.9 KB · Views: 68

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Then it may be overheat related. If one of fan doesn't move at all. This explain the cause of overheating and why the other fan have to work harder.

louissellers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2023
Then it may be overheat related. If one of fan doesn't move at all. This explain the cause of overheating and why the other fan have to work harder.
Again, thank you for your reply. If overheating is the issue, how can I check temperatures and how can I fix this problem? Any thoughts as to why one fan isn't even spinning?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
From memory, Mojave can read the RX580's temperature natively.

You can try this command in terminal.
Code:
ioreg -l |grep \"PerformanceStatistics\" | tr ',' '\n'|grep 'Temp'

I don't know why that fan doesn't spin. May be bearing issue, may be loose wire, may be the motor is dead...

louissellers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2023
From memory, Mojave can read the RX580's temperature natively.

You can try this command in terminal.
Code:
ioreg -l |grep \"PerformanceStatistics\" | tr ',' '\n'|grep 'Temp'

I don't know why that fan doesn't spin. May be bearing issue, may be loose wire, may be the motor is dead...
Thank you, kindly - I shall give this terminal command a go. I may need to contact Sapphire for further help if the card is faulty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.