Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

biscuit1280

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2019
So I got my hands on a 5,1 Mac Pro with dual x5680, and I put in a 980Ti, but I don't seem to be getting a signal on my monitor.
From what I understood, the new gpu isn't initialized because of missing drivers, so I went ahead and purchased a GT120 off eBay so I will be able to install the right drivers - since I don't have the stock gpu.
Is there anything I can do in the meantime? could the problem be something other than missing drivers?
Thanks in advance!

Alex Sanders74

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2013
Toronto, Canada
As long as you have the proper power cables installed for that card (6pin + 8pin) and the correct web drivers, the video signal should output. What connector are you trying to use on the 980ti?

Try reviewing this forum post...
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/faq-nvidia-web-drivers.2170497/

Does the GT120 you installed work correctly?

More info on your MacPro setup would be helpful. See my signature below and you should list all the specs for your 5.1 to help us diagnose....

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
So I got my hands on a 5,1 Mac Pro with dual x5680, and I put in a 980Ti, but I don't seem to be getting a signal on my monitor.
From what I understood, the new gpu isn't initialized because of missing drivers, so I went ahead and purchased a GT120 off eBay so I will be able to install the right drivers - since I don't have the stock gpu.
Is there anything I can do in the meantime? could the problem be something other than missing drivers?
Thanks in advance!

You don't need stock GPU, any macOS natively supported GPU can do the job. Which means most AMD cards (if you are running latest High Sierra).

Do you have any graphic card on hand rather than the 980Ti?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.