Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

monteallums

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2023
Mississippi
I recently went from Mojave to Monterey using OCLP. I was previously using an Apollo Firewire connection under Mojave. My Quad Cortex ‘Cortex Control’ app isn’t supported under Mojave so as a preset creator for the Quad Cortex I need the use of the editor. So I installed a Thunderbolt Card into the Apollo. Monterey no longer supports the Apollo Firewire interface connection.

I bought a Flashed Titan Ridge Thunderbolt Card and for the most part everything is rock solid. Creating bootable backups of my Monterey System drive was an adventure in and of itself. The principle issue is because a bootable clone obviously requires both the System and Data volume to be cloned. The only way of cloning the System volume is with the Apple ASR (Apple System Restore) process which is used by both.

Here’s the system drive cloning workaround I am using and it has worked 100% of the time. You’ll need Super Duper version 3.8.

1. Format your Backup Clone Disk with APFS. Use OCLP to create macOS Installer. You’ll need a 16GB USB Flash Drive.

2. Follow the OCLP directions for creating a macOS Installer on to the Flash Drive. I installed Monterey. If you’re going to do audio I would stick with Monterey. There are currently issues with Ventura and Sonoma. Monterey is the ticket for now.

3. Once the Monterey install has finished, boot into Monterey and use the Apple Migration Assistant to migrate all you data over to the backup clone drive with Monterey. WARNING: Once I migrated all my data and tried to boot from the drive I would get into an endless boot loop never completely booting into Monterey.

4. This is where Super Duper saved the day for me. Now use Super Duper to copy all files using Smart Update from the drive you want to clone. When complete your freshly installed OS along with all your migrated data will be bootable.

Now there are those that claim to have used Carbon Copy Cloner using their Legacy Bootable Copy Assistant to create a bootable clone of their Monterey system drive. I was never successful in my attempts.

Now here is where things went off the rails for me. The downside of the Titan Ridge Thunderbolt card is to get the Apollo drivers to install and to link to the device you have to boot the Mac Pro twice!

Now granted you can just leave the Apollo on 24/7 and for the most part that does work. But I am also using the Thunderbolt card to connect an external 500GB SSD I use for Video and Audio files.

Having this drive connected for some reason disconnects the Apollo when it sits idle overnight. If I disconnect the external SSD drive the Apollo stays linked and functional. I have not removed the sleep resistor on the Titan. I just set the Mac and drives to never go into sleep mode.

I am trying to troubleshoot these issues. So far I have discovered no workable solutions. I did read a thread here where someone claimed to have figured out a way to bypass the two-boot method with the Tian. But my attempts at getting a response on how the poster accomplished this have yet to be answered.

Has anyone reading this been able to address these issues? Is there a way to get the Apollo drivers to load with one boot? Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

tylers67

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2015
Los Angeles
Not an answer to your question, but I was wondering if you needed to load any SSDT driver for the Titan Ridge card in OCLP? Some reports said those are a requirement, but it's very vague with OCLP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.