Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

7GeorgiePorgie

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2024
Both BCM943602CD and BCM943602CDP are supported with OCLP + Sonoma, these are the factory AirPort Extreme of iMacs from 2013 to 2017. With Mac Pros works best if you connect the USB D+ and D- to a hub, to avoid the OHCI issue.

While the cards are not supported with Sonoma anymore, Apple supports it up to Ventura, OCLP re-added it and works.
Hey Alex! I just installed the OSX bcm94360CD and I have bluetooth working with my macbook pro mid 2012, logi pebble k380s keyboard and iphone 14 but zero wifi. I see it in system info but zero detail info and cannot turn on wifi. I reverted root patch and did it again which oclp 1.3.0 picked up the changed wifi&bluetooth card but only fixed the bluetooth and wifi is still down on my 2010 5,1 dual X5680's. is there a go around or do I have to wait until OCLP 1.4.0 is released? Please point me in the right direction brother man!

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Please point me in the right direction brother man!

Remove any disks with OCLP, do a deep NVRAM reset, install Mojave to a spare disk and be sure that everything works as expected with Mojave, you could have a defective card.

If everything is working with Mojave as expected, then is something OCLP related and the best place to get help is the OCLP discord.

Last edited:

7GeorgiePorgie

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2024
Remove any disks with OCLP, do a deep NVRAM reset, install Mojave to a spare disk and be sure that everything works as expected with Mojave, you could have a defective card.

If everything is working with Mojave as expected, then is something OCLP related and the best place to get help is the OCLP discord.
Hey Alex! I understand how to nvram reset but what is the protocol to perform a deep nvram reset?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Hey Alex! I understand how to nvram reset but what is the protocol to perform a deep nvram reset?

This is the type of thing that you can find with the search…

Install a wired keyboard that works for NVRAM resets and do at least 4 NVRAM resets sequentially (press/keep pressed continuously CMD-Option-P-R until you hear the chime for the 5th time).

7GeorgiePorgie

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2024
This is the type of thing that you can find with the search…

Install a wired keyboard that works for NVRAM resets and do at least 4 NVRAM resets sequentially (press/keep pressed continuously CMD-Option-P-R until you hear the chime for the 5th time).
Orale carnal! Btw... I already have a Mojave startup disk in drive one, after checking when it loads and the problem is fixed, can I remove the drive and put my nvme drive with sonoma 14.3.1 back in and will it load opencore plug and play?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Orale carnal! Btw... I already have a Mojave startup disk in drive one, after checking when it loads and the problem is fixed, can I remove the drive and put my nvme drive with sonoma 14.3.1 back in and will it load opencore plug and play?

You can try, if doesn't work you'll need to re-bless manually the OC ESP. More info here:

Reactions: MNissen

MNissen

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2021

7GeorgiePorgie

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2024
Here's an interesting resource

https://dortania.github.io/Wireless-Buyers-Guide/types-of-wireless-card/pcie.html

Looks like the BCM943602CS card I have is supported, but the PCIe part may need dealing to.

Worth a read.

Mind you, the requirements around the AirportBrcmFixup and BrcmPatchRAM look to be a bit above my paygrade /technical abilities.

we'll see

Having rebuilt the system from the ground up, due to my last attempted addition of the PCIe card, I'm cautious.
Thanks so much for this valuable informatain MNissen!! I just need to learn how to properly use this patch with Sonoma. I have a Fenvi t919 but when i connected it to my cMP in Monterey..... nothing happened and didn't even get recognized, I couldn't figure out why because I am new to all of this, so I packed it up and shelv'd it. Then bought the bcm94360CD combo when I up'd it to 14.3.1. With the original stock wifi, I had connectivity then installed the 94360CD, restarted and no wifi but had bluetooth. So here we are.... I know the card is good because I have both wifi and bluetooth on my other nvme with Monterey and kick'n ass! Just dont have a clue why sonoma was a no go until your post today MNissen. You have shed some light. Now I have to just figure out and understand completely how to apply the patch(s) to fix the wifi card and I will apply the fix that Alex mentioned connecting the wifi card to the USB hub on the outside back instead where the old bluetooth card connected on the logic board.

MNissen

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2021
I'll be interested in your experiences:

As far as I can see the AirportBrcmFixup and BrcmPatchRAM look to be a bunch of kext files and a bit above my paygrade/technical abilities to install.

Unless it's just a matter of finding existing files in the system folder somewhere and replacing them with these, or adding these to a folder. But you see, I don't know. If anyone can guide me I'd appreciate it.

MNissen

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2021
Any hoo -

I decided to stick in the PCIe card "BCM943602CS Wireless Card Adapter" Link - that started all of this, into the Mac Pro 5,1, on the basis that some future upgrade to Sonoma or OCLP may sort it. And if it's just sitting there, not working, it should be benign.

In that process, I reset the NVRAM 3 times and the Sonoma install (via OCLP) went all to hell.

The most obvious bad thing was that the monitor now shows everything in Orange and Green, like it's on acid. I tried 2 graphics cards, 3 monitors and now 2 different SSDs. Bloody hell, Orange and Green!

Then I remembered that I'd done the "working" Sonoma install, by installing Ventura and then upgrading OTA to Sonoma, these Orange and Green installs were straight from a Sonoma installer.

So back to year 0.

Luckily I have a Catalina (via DosDude) HDD, I can boot from which works just fine. All the graphics cards and colours and stuff - perfect.

But wait! Sonoma 14.4 and OCLP 1.4 have just been released.

In the blurb in the OCLP 1.3 to 1.4 upgrade, mention was made of a slew of new or updated patches, wifi amongst them. And warnings about various non metal graphics cards - I haven't understood these.

So I'm reinstalling Ventura on the Mac Pro 5,1 with OCLP 1.4, then I'll OTA Sonoma after that.

I do have Sonoma 14.3.1 and OCLP 1.4 working perfectly on my MacBook Pro 10,1. As a "Control", I won't upgrade this to Sonoma 14.4, until I've got the Mac Pro 5,1 working.

Wish me luck...

MNissen

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2021
Further - when I asked Perplexity - encouraging news from the Ai

"what are the new wifi patches in the version 1.4 of OpenCore Legacy Patcher?"

Answer​

In version 1.4 of OpenCore Legacy Patcher, the new WiFi patches include the resolution of issues with Broadcom WiFi cards caused by the release of macOS Sonoma 14.4 beta 1 and beta 2. Initially, these patches were broken, but thanks to the developers of OCLP, with the new update to the OpenCore Patcher nightly build (1.4.0) and modifications to IOSkywalkFamily.kext (IOSkywalkFamily-v1.1.0), users can once again apply the root patches to enable WiFi on unsupported Macs and hackintosh systems
. Additionally, there was a fix for WiFi preferences crash with legacy WiFi patches in this version
https://github.com/dortania/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/blob/main/CHANGELOG.md

MNissen

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2021
What I'm discovering after trying to install Sonoma in various ways, is that this WIFI Card when in - no install of any kind works properly.

It was not an issue before I put the card in - so the card goes.

Or the warnings that come with the OCLP 1.4.1 apply to my mac.

I'm using a Geforce 120 for the install which I believe is a Tesla? 100 series and the warnings apply to 8000 - 200 series from memory. Ahh well- let's see how this goes.

Sorry to clutter up the forum with my issues, it may be that someone else, somewhere, gets some benefit from them.

Again - after 4 days of reinstalling, to try and get this card to work or just sit there - all this, just to get my apple watch to log in, seems overkill.

The card goes in the bin.

Last edited:

7GeorgiePorgie

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2024
What I'm discovering after trying to install Sonoma in various ways, is that this WIFI Card when in - no install of any kind works properly.

It was not an issue before I put the card in - so the card goes.

Or the warnings that come with the OCLP 1.4.1 apply to my mac.

I'm using a Geforce 120 for the install which I believe is a Tesla? 100 series and the warnings apply to 8000 - 200 series from memory. Ahh well- let's see how this goes.

Sorry to clutter up the forum with my issues, it may be that someone else, somewhere, gets some benefit from them.

Again - after 4 days of reinstalling, to try and get this card to work or just sit there - all this, just to get my apple watch to log in, seems overkill.

The card goes in the bin.
My system is perfect now with my native bcm94360cd card working in 14.4 on my cMP! Things are groovy thanks to da boyz at dortania and the release of oclp 1.4.2! The only snags are my iPhone 14 and iPad 10th wont pair but all other pereph's do including Airpods. Maybe if i change up to bcm94360cdp the bluetooth 4.2 card will unlock that issue and I too can use my series 9 to unlock the mighty cMP 5,1. Any thoughts on this issue gentlemen?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.