Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tomh381

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2022
That means the Mac has not chimed more than one time?

Either your keyboard or your Mac’s backplane is flaky.

Just to be clear: you dont plugged in the Keyboard to a PCIe Card?
Yes, it only chimes once. The keyboard was working in macOS when my mate showed it to me. It's plugged direct into the motherboard on the back of the tower, same place it was plugged in when it worked in macos

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
The Apple Magic keyboard II is not exactly reliable with a MacPro5,1 and can't do multiple NVRAM resets - when you try to reset multiple times, the keyboard always try to connect via BT instead of the USB connection, after the 1st reset.

I have a A2450 here and it's useless for multiple resets. Other users reported the same behavior.

tomh381

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2022
The Apple Magic keyboard II is not exactly reliable with a MacPro5,1 and can't do multiple NVRAM resets - when you try to reset multiple times, the keyboard always try to connect via BT instead of the USB connection, after the 1st reset.

I have a A2450 here and it's useless for multiple resets. Other users reported the same behavior.
would this be any good? its not too far from me so could pick it up today.

tomh381

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2022
Yes, it's the factory included KB.
the keyboard has made a difference. now, pressing option brings up a padlock sign and a place to enter what i assume is a password. However, resetting NVRAM didn't work. After I tried resetting NVRAM I tried option again, and now it doesn't work. Straight back to the ? folder icon

tomh381

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2022
the keyboard has made a difference. now, pressing option brings up a padlock sign and a place to enter what i assume is a password. However, resetting NVRAM didn't work. After I tried resetting NVRAM I tried option again, and now it doesn't work. Straight back to the ? folder icon
asked my mate. He says he never set a firmware password. Am I in deep **** now?

tomh381

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2022
I appear to have solved the issue. I removed all ram sticks then replaced just 2 of them. It's currently booting onto the USB installer I believe

tomh381

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2022
It will not boot to the USB drive with any sata disks connected. I'm currently installing to a sata SSD connected via a USB adapter. I will post updates and the inevitable issues here.

tomh381

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2022
Installation finished. Installed the ssd into the first sata port and it booted right up. Currently updating to high sierra. Will be interesting to see if it boots once I put the other 6 sticks of ram back in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.