Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zterm

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2018
Yesterday I took the plunge and did a clean install of Monterey on my MacPro 5.1.

Everything went well and to my surprise both the USB3 cards and a flashed RX580 worked great from the start.

I'm also surprised to see that bluetooth through a cheap WTXUP BCM94360 still works in Monterey. However, WiFi through the same card does not.

WiFi (and Bluetooth) still work fine on Mojave. But I never removed the original Airport card from the computer, I just disconnected the antenna and power cable from the Bluetooth card.

Is there any hope that wifi can get to work in Monterey with this card? Apparently it is similar to the simpler Fenvi card.

Attachments

• mojave.jpg
    mojave.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 716
  • monterey.jpg
    monterey.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 386
  • 71N9+CF3gIL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    71N9+CF3gIL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 355

zterm

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2018
Thanks for replying.
Let me know if this is what you need.

Attachments

• Mac Pro - Monterey.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 329
  • Mac Pro - Mojave.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 149

krakman

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
But I never removed the original Airport card from the computer,
Use OCLP to install the old WIFI driver Kexts.

I have an old 2010 5.1 with the original Airport card and BT 2.1 card.

Upon installation the Airport did not work. I went back into the OCLP app and clicked "Post Install Root Patch"

The software automatically installed the missing drivers and airport worked upon reboot.

zterm

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2018
Use OCLP to install the old WIFI driver Kexts.

I have an old 2010 5.1 with the original Airport card and BT 2.1 card.

Upon installation the Airport did not work. I went back into the OCLP app and clicked "Post Install Root Patch"

The software automatically installed the missing drivers and airport worked upon reboot.

Thanks for the advise.

Before installing Monterey, I removed the 3rd party BT/WiFi card because I read that WiFi and BT may work.

When I noticed that WiFi and BT didn't work I tried to do the Post Install Root Patch, but there was not anything available to be installed.

I then re-connected the card and noticed that BT worked fine.

Of course I can remove the 3rd party BT/WiFi card or the Airport card, re-connect the BT 2.1 card and re-install Monterey, but it's a bit overkill if a manual kext mod can solve the problem. What do you think? I mean... are there any kexts that could be added/removed manually?

krakman

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
Thanks for the advise.

Before installing Monterey, I removed the 3rd party BT/WiFi card because I read that WiFi and BT may work.

When I noticed that WiFi and BT didn't work I tried to do the Post Install Root Patch, but there was not anything available to be installed.

I then re-connected the card and noticed that BT worked fine.

Of course I can remove the 3rd party BT/WiFi card or the Airport card, re-connect the BT 2.1 card and re-install Monterey, but it's a bit overkill if a manual kext mod can solve the problem. What do you think? I mean... are there any kexts that could be added/removed manually?
I would reconnect the original apple airport and BT cards.

Then run the OCLP kext patch. to see that you have working wifi and BT.

After that you can try to get that Chinese PCIe card to work.

zterm

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2018
I never removed the Airport card. Followed you suggestion and removed the Chinese card and reconnected the BT card, restarted the computer ant voila!, the Post Install Root Patch was available.

But after running the patch and rebooting a few times, wifi and bluetooth still do not work.
WiFi seems to be available, but no networks are shown and can't connect manually either.

When removing the original BT antenna cable to put the Chinese card back, the tiny connector at the board got broken/unsoldered. I'll try to fix it later. If I am successful will probably try to do a complete reinstall of Monterey.

zterm

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2018
Just a brief update. After five or six restarts all nearby WiFi networks are shown at the top menu. However, I cant't connect to any, not even to my own Airport Express WiFi which is located 5 feet away from the Mac.

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Just a brief update. After five or six restarts all nearby WiFi networks are shown at the top menu. However, I cant't connect to any, not even to my own Airport Express WiFi which is located 5 feet away from the Mac.
That means that the wifi in use is the original one where you disconnected the antenna cables. Without them the wifi will not connect to anything. Why don't you disconnect the original card to avoid confusion?
I can see 2 cards in the ioregistry, but the FENVI wifi is not attached properly and does not appear as an ARPT device:
1656521470651.png

And here is the original card properly registered, but without antennas:
1656521590441.png

As you can see the devices RP03, RP04, RP05 and RP06 are all occupied by the 2 ethernet ports, the firewire port and the original wifi and there is no more RP0X devices available to attach. So, you need to free some resources. Remove the original card and make a back up from the registry.

Last edited:

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
@zterm you can try this SSDT without disconnecting the original one.

Attachments

• SSDT-cMP-ARPT.aml.zip
    1 KB · Views: 194

zterm

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2018
I am lost.
I have never disconnected any antenna cables from the original WiFi card nor I have ever removed it from the machine. Actually, it works fine in Mojave. The other Chinese card works fine in Mojave as well.

Please forgive my ignorance. What should I do to try the SSDT you kindly attached?

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
WiFi (and Bluetooth) still work fine on Mojave. But I never removed the original Airport card from the computer, I just disconnected the antenna and power cable from the Bluetooth card.

I am lost.
I have never disconnected any antenna cables from the original WiFi card nor I have ever removed it from the machine. Actually, it works fine in Mojave.
Now I am lost. You said in the first post that you disconnected the antennas? How many antennas are disconnected now? It is a combo card and there are 3 antennas. The pictures you attached are for the original card in Monterey and Mojave. As I said the FENVI does not appear in the ioregistry as an ARPT device and it never worked ( see my post above with screenshots). What worked as a wifi in Mojave is your original card.
You need to add the SSDT to the ACPI folder and the config file:

Adding to OpenCore​

Don't forget that SSDTs need to be added to OpenCore, reminder that .aml is complied, .dsl is code. Add only the .aml file:

• EFI/OC/ACPI
  • config.plist -> ACPI -> Add
Send me your config.plist I will modify it. Just place the SSDT in :
  • EFI/OC/ACPI

zterm

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2018
Send me your config.plist I will modify it. Just place the SSDT in :
  • EFI/OC/ACPI

To be honest, I don't know how to get access to that plist and those directories... This is my first OCLP install.
If you have the time and patience, to instruct me, I'll do it and appreciate it.

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Download OpencoreConfigurator. When you run it and click on it in the menu bar it will show several disks and one of them will say Opencore partition. Select mount partition. There are your OC directories and files and the config file:

Attachments

• 1656531512674.png
    1656531512674.png
    141.1 KB · Views: 123

krakman

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
I re-read your post:

1. you have not disconnected the original airport card and it remains connected inside your Mac pro
  2. you did disconnect the cable from original 2.1 BT module
  3. The WTXUP BCM94360 gives you WIFI in Mojave but not in Monterey, although it is 'seen' in Monterey
  4. you used OCLP to install Monterey
try this:

1. Manually connect using the "other" option on the Wi-Fi menu bar or manually adding the network on the "Network" preference pane in system preferences. Make sure you are logged into iCloud, when I had this problem with an old airport card I could not manually add my wifi ID and password. However I used a network cable to connect to the router in order to complete the set up and once I had Keychain in iCloud set up it automatically connected to the WIFI.
  2. if the above does not work, open OCLP and click "Post Install Root Patch" and let it do its thing. At least it will get the old Airport card working. And if it doesn't automatically connect to your wifi then you will need to manually connect using the "other" option on the Wi-Fi menu bar or manually adding the network on the "Network" preference pane in system preferences.
the other suggestions above seem to think you installed OC manually, which is causing confusion.

zterm

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2018
I did the Post Reinstall Root Patch once again and did exactly what you suggested.

Now WiFi works fine with the original card.

I noticed that no matter how many times I did the Post Reinstall Root Patch, the Legacy Wireless patch shows up as available, even after having WiFi working fine.

As I broke the BT 2.0 card antenna socket, I am using a dongle for Bluetooth 4.0. In any case, I need 4.0 for some of my devices.

Now I am debating between re-installing the FTXUP card or not, as I don't really need WiFi (except for very occasional fiber connection failures) or I may purchase an iMac WiFi/BT 4.2 card to gain some BT performance and security, but for now, I'm served.

Again, thank you startergo and krakman for your help and patience.

Reactions: krakman

zterm

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2018
Just a brief noto to say that I re-installed the FTXUP card and everything works fine. I built a cable adapter to feed the BT portion with USB data internally and I even have Airdrop working fine both in Mojave and Monterey.
Now that I no longer have the original BT 2.0 card installed (nor can I install it unless I buy a new one) I don't know if a new Mojave install would install the correct driver and be able to do the post root patch though...

In any case at about 45 euros for the card and the cable, a rather inexpensive way to upgrade wifi and have BT with airdrop working fine.

osuch

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2003
Hello all - I have a very similar situation with a MacPro 5,1 upgraded with OCLP 0.6.1 .. I did reinstall the Post Install Root Patch (it said it had the latest) and saw legacy WiFi drivers were installed. When I click on the WiFi item, it is on and I can see all the networks but when I choose one, it doesn't ask for the password and doesn't connect (the WiFi icon pulsates from bottom to top like it is trying). I manually tried via Other with the same results. Also went into preferences and removed/readded WiFi in Network. When I boot with my Mojave install on a separate SSD the WiFi works fine. Any ideas ? or do I just need to buy the above card ? If I do, will it work in Mojave. I'm technically good but haven't rolled up my sleeves and taken apart the Mac Pro too much (well I did replace the backplane once). I'm trying to setup the system for sale (MacPro 5,1 Mid 2012, 2 x 2.4 GHz 6-core with 128 GB RAM and AMD Radeon HD 7950). Maybe I just sell w/o WiFi if buyer wants Monterey.
Screen Shot 2023-01-25 at 6.38.29 PM.png

FabioC_0

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2023
Hello all - I have a very similar situation with a MacPro 5,1 upgraded with OCLP 0.6.1 .. I did reinstall the Post Install Root Patch (it said it had the latest) and saw legacy WiFi drivers were installed. When I click on the WiFi item, it is on and I can see all the networks but when I choose one, it doesn't ask for the password and doesn't connect (the WiFi icon pulsates from bottom to top like it is trying). I manually tried via Other with the same results. Also went into preferences and removed/readded WiFi in Network. When I boot with my Mojave install on a separate SSD the WiFi works fine. Any ideas ? or do I just need to buy the above card ? If I do, will it work in Mojave.

Hello all,
I have the same situation. My MacPro 5.1 Mid 2012, 2 x 3.46 GHz 6-core, 128 Gb RAM, Nvidia GTX Titan 6 Gb, uses OCLP 0.6.2 with Monterey 12.6.3, anything works fine but WiFi (original Broadcom as in previous post) doesn't connect to router.
I checked removing router password and leaving SSID visible and in this case it connects but this condition is not acceptable in terms of security. Anyone would be able to suggest a solution to this issue?

pdxplm

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2006
Portland, OR
I got into geek mode this weekend. I have 2 2010 CMP 5,1's and upgraded the CPUs, the Video Cards, and drives. It's now got an X5690 CPU, RXT 580, and an NVME. I had to step through High Sierra, swap cards, and then go to Mojave. I got both firmware updates and now am at 144. I used OCLP 61 and am now sitting on Ventura with everything working like a charm.

FabioC_0

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2023
I got into geek mode this weekend. I have 2 2010 CMP 5,1's and upgraded the CPUs, the Video Cards, and drives. It's now got an X5690 CPU, RXT 580, and an NVME. I had to step through High Sierra, swap cards, and then go to Mojave. I got both firmware updates and now am at 144. I used OCLP 61 and am now sitting on Ventura with everything working like a charm.
I did some geek tests meanwhile, using Mojave as starting base, on my MacPro 5.1 Mid 2012, I worked with OCLP 0.6.2 that solves "kdk" unavailability, the and the results are:

- Installing Ventura, WiFi works, connect and accept new connections (saving network and password), but bluetooth doesn't work (so no magic mouse nor magic keyboard).

- Installing Monterey, WiFi doesn't work (or better it will work if networks were memorized before to start, in Mojave), but doesn't accept to register in any new network that has password protection and SSID hidden, so you can connect to open networks with no password protection.

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
I did some geek tests meanwhile, using Mojave as starting base, on my MacPro 5.1 Mid 2012, I worked with OCLP 0.6.2 that solves "kdk" unavailability, the and the results are:

- Installing Ventura, WiFi works, connect and accept new connections (saving network and password), but bluetooth doesn't work (so no magic mouse nor magic keyboard).

- Installing Monterey, WiFi doesn't work (or better it will work if networks were memorized before to start, in Mojave), but doesn't accept to register in any new network that has password protection and SSID hidden, so you can connect to open networks with no password protection.

in my dumper package I have in a folder „Tweaks“ a script package to workaround the gui issues of Monterey / Ventura wifi settings prefpane.

Even a script to wipe a bunch of settings and old preferred networks what often helps.

zterm

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2018

I had some problems with my WiFi when I installed Monterey. Someone suggested removing the WiFi settings in System Prefs, signing out of icloud, rebooting, and signing back in. And only then reactivate WiFi.

I am currently using Mojave because I depend on some perpetual apps whose upgrade price for Monterey is not justified, but my cheap wifi/bt card (WTXUP BCM94360) works fine in Mojave AND Monterey.

zterm

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2018
WTXUP BT/WiFi card.
After more than a year of operation without problems with OCLP 0.4.7 and Monterey 12.7.1, after installing OCLP 1.3 and Monterey 12.7.3, wifi has stopped working.

In the original installation I also had a problem that I solved by deleting the Wi-Fi preferences and activating iCloud, but after doing it 4 or 5 times I can't get it to work in OCLP 1.3.

The only thing I see that has changed is that the previous AirportDriver version in Monterey was BcrmNIC-1710.3 and when updating it is BcrmNIC-1710.4.

Bluetooth still works correctly.

Any ideas?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.