Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Any dramas with Sonoma on that machine? Mine have Radeons (580 or RX6600XT).

Mainly I use the 6 core machine for Zwift.
6600XT won't work on cMP in Sonoma yet.

580 is OK, but few users reported system crashss related to video decoding issue.

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
6600XT won't work on cMP in Sonoma yet.

580 is OK, but few users reported system crashss related to video decoding issue.
Thanks, I'll steer clear of Sonoma for now. What I have works reliably but thought I'd ask.

Mad Kat

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2019
Italia
Hi guys, some info without opening a new discussion
I reached the maximum update with mac pro 5.1 2010 with rx580 with mojave, which components should I replace if I wanted to update further without resorting to various patches?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Hi guys, some info without opening a new discussion
I reached the maximum update with mac pro 5.1 2010 with rx580 with mojave, which components should I replace if I wanted to update further without resorting to various patches?

Seems you are asking the wrong question since Mojave is the last macOS release that runs without OpenCore or dosdude1 patches.

Nothing hardware wise will change that.

Reactions: Macdctr and Mad Kat

Mad Kat

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2019
Italia
so without patches... in the official version I can't do anything anymore
I struggle to understand and make opencore work...

Macdctr

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Ocean State
Any dramas with Sonoma on that machine? Mine have Radeons (580 or RX6600XT).

Mainly I use the 6 core machine for Zwift.
I have since updated to OCLP 1.4.0n and have restored bluetooth functionality to my setup. For me this was not a major issue as I was using a wired keyboard and trackball. Anyway, still using my Radeon HD 7950 3GB GPU so no drama associated with the OS yet.

Reactions: hoeveler

hoeveler

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2016
Seattle
I have since updated to OCLP 1.4.0n and have restored bluetooth functionality to my setup. For me this was not a major issue as I was using a wired keyboard and trackball. Anyway, still using my Radeon HD 7950 3GB GPU so no drama associated with the OS yet.
Thanks for the tip! I needed to be able to run macOS 11 Big Sur in order to run Ableton Live 12 and I'm trying to keep this running as a dedicated backup archiving machine and music workstation. I mis-read the Ableton system requirements thinking it said macOS 10.11... I've never been good at keeping track of the NAMES, and thought 11 Big Sur was macOS 10.11 - *I come from the era of OS X - where everything is just versions of 10!* I was already running 10.14, no sweat! Oops. It clearly says macOS 11 Big Sur. I just bought an upgrade to my Ableton version, and it's easier to run older hardware than it is older software. Your tip should help me run this newer software.

Macdctr

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Ocean State
Thanks for the tip! I needed to be able to run macOS 11 Big Sur in order to run Ableton Live 12 and I'm trying to keep this running as a dedicated backup archiving machine and music workstation. I mis-read the Ableton system requirements thinking it said macOS 10.11... I've never been good at keeping track of the NAMES, and thought 11 Big Sur was macOS 10.11 - *I come from the era of OS X - where everything is just versions of 10!* I was already running 10.14, no sweat! Oops. It clearly says macOS 11 Big Sur. I just bought an upgrade to my Ableton version, and it's easier to run older hardware than it is older software. Your tip should help me run this newer software.
I began with OSX "Cheetah" when I ran this OS on my Pismo. I ran 10.1 Cheetah/Puma, 10,2 Jaguar, 10.3 Panther and 10.4 Tiger on it. Current version is 10.4 which is the last version of Tiger I could download for my Pismo. I still have this laptop and have fully upgraded it. Anyway I can relate and with Big Sur when Apple changed their numbering scheme, everything has changed with incremental changes of the OS being the decimal number.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.