Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

t8er8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 4, 2017
Quebec, Canada
After seeing countless posts about people’s power supplies dying I thought I might ask this question ahead of time in case my power supply ever comes to.

I’m sure power supply disassembly is possible on a Mac Pro and I was thinking how hard could it be to diagnose and repair the board. I’ve fixed standard ATX PC power supplies before by replacing blown/funky looking electrolytic capacitors. Would this be possible in a Mac Pro? Are the components in awkward places? I was wondering why I hadn’t seen any good forum posts on how this could be done. Most people can spend upwards of 300$ to get a replacement power supply. I understand that it takes work to do and some people don’t have the time, but with a solid step by step process I’m sure it couldn’t be too hard.

tl:dr are there any caveats, major risks, or extreme difficulty when it comes to repairing a classic Mac Pro power supply? And does anyone have experience with successful repairs who would like to share knowledge?

Reactions: Thekidbass

t8er8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 4, 2017
Quebec, Canada
...just electrocution.
How hard is it to just wait with a power supply unplugged for a while or using an isolated thing like a screwdriver to discharge the capacitors. With proper precautions it’s probably the least difficult thing to think about when doing a repair.

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
Discharge the capacitors with a light bulb. Shorting them with bare metal could kill components and traces. At least for the high voltage caps you get optical feedback.

Dont do psu repairs if you are not skilled and used to such stuff. You can hurt yourself or cause fire !

Thekidbass

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2018
Can anyone direct me to a reputable repair shop that repairs the Power Supply in my Mid 2012 5,1. Delta Electronics, Model number DPS-980BB-2 A. Apple part number 614-0454. The original one in my Mac Pro is fading fast. I was getting abrupt shutdowns even while idling. But now it is getting stuck on the apple logo while trying to boot up. I purchased a used one on Ebay. Received it yesterday but it was dead on arrive. The seller refunded me back the money and I didn't have to return it. So now I have 2 power supplies, which neither one is working. Can use my computer until I get a working Power supply. Thanks for any suggestions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.