Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smrieck511

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2023
Hi,

I have a Mac Pro 5,1 with a Titan Ridge 2.0. Trying to get Thunderbolt to work but I'm new to this. Can anyone help with a step by step?

Here's what I have and know:

Mac Pro 5,1 running Catalina. 32Gb Ram, RX580 Graphics and a Titan Ridge 2.0.

- The TR has a jumper between pins 3 and 5.
- The TR is installed in slot 4
- It TR is alive. USB 3.0 works fine and shows up in system report.
- Thunderbolt in System Report shows no drivers installed.

What I do NOT know:

- Is flashing the card absolutely necessary? I don't have the flash tool but found a link on Amazon.
- I read something about possibly running it in Windows first but Bootcamp says it will not run on my Mac.
- I'm confused about OpenCore. Where to begin? What version. How is this installed?
- What is it that actually gets Thunderbolt recognized? Flashing? OpenCore? Both?

THANKS for any assistance.

Last edited:

cdf

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2012
Flashing your Titan Ridge Card is what gets it recognized in macOS. Additionally using an SSDT (injected through OpenCore) enables proper hot-plug and wake-from-sleep functionality. You can learn about OpenCore and how to create a custom SSDT here.

Depending on your Thunderbolt devices, booting first into Windows may be an initially easier option; however, this option is cumbersome in the long run and functionality may be more limited than with a flashed card.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.