Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macuser505

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2023
i have a Mac Pro 5.1 it wont boot it turns on with a white screen and a folder iv'e tried everything i can find on the net it came with high sierra installed one day turned it on and thats where im at tried command r it wont go into recovery mode pls someone help i also tried the usb method

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
The first Mac Pro that have Internet Recovery is late-2013 Mac Pro, a MacPro5,1 does not have Internet Recovery and can't install any OS without a pre-made installer image (or a NetBoot/NetInstall MacOSX server, but this was deprecated years ago).

Are you sure that the Mac Pro already have the HighSierra required firmware update (MP51.0089.B00)? If you are not sure, try to install Sierra or ElCapitan, no need of firmware upgrades for these two.

Did you tested the createinstallmedia USB installer with other Mac to see if you created it correctly? Some USB keys are not Mac Pro compatible, specially newer USBv3 with bigger sizes, go for a 8GB USBv2 key.

Reactions: bmoraski

macuser505

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2023
i made a usb and i made it on a external ssd with high sierra i can try making a sierra one i tested it on my macbook pro but it says the os is too old im gonna try the sierra method what key functions do i use since command r dont work and thank you for your help

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Just press Option and you will get the Apple native BootPicker, then you can select the macOS installer from the USB key, if the USB key and the keyboard are compatible with the Mac Pro.

Most, if not all, keys available on pre-boot that all Macs from 2009-2012 have will work, but not Internet Recovery. There is a list of all keys that work at boot on Apple Support documents.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
can i use a ssd

Connected where?

Installed to the SATA ports, yes, but needs to be one that is compatible - sevaral SSDs like Samsung 870QVO do not work correctly when installed to a Mac Pro, even to a 2019 Mac Pro.

If it's a USB SSD used as a createinstallmedia pen-drive, it's a maybe.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Option, if the Boot Picker is not working something is wrong or incompatible.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I've already told you what you have to do, get Mac Pro compatible keyboard and USB memory key, double check if it's bootable with another Mac - even if it's an earlier macOS than the Mac supports, you will see it with BootPicker and then the Prohibited signal.

macuser505

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2023
It worked on my other Mac so I know that works I only have a aftermarket keyboard so I have to buy one thanks

MacProFCP

Contributor
Jun 14, 2007
Michigan
i have a Mac Pro 5.1 it wont boot it turns on with a white screen and a folder iv'e tried everything i can find on the net it came with high sierra installed one day turned it on and thats where im at tried command r it wont go into recovery mode pls someone help i also tried the usb method
Use another computer to make a boot drive or use Disc Warrior which is great for those machines.

macuser505

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2023
Thank you I need to buy a apple approved keyboard first I’ll get back to you guys thanks

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Thank you I need to buy a apple approved keyboard first I’ll get back to you guys thanks

There is no Apple approved keyboard, there is compatible and incompatible keyboards for a lot of reasons - several from Microsoft and Logitech do not work at all for pre-boot configuration, but work fine for macOS. Some work from cold power up and fail with warm resets, it's complicated PC keyboards are not tested with Macs.

Test your current keyboard with your newer Mac and see if you can, at least, get to the BootPicker. Maybe it's not the keyboard, you have to narrow it.

macuser505

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2023
There is no Apple approved keyboard, there is compatible and incompatible keyboards for a lot of reasons - several from Microsoft and Logitech do not work at all for pre-boot configuration, but work fine for macOS. Some work from cold power up and fail with warm resets, it's complicated PC keyboards are not tested with Macs.

Test your current keyboard with your newer Mac and see if you can, at least, get to the BootPicker. Maybe it's not the keyboard, you have to narrow it.
Ok thanks I’ll try that as well

macuser505

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2023
Ok thanks I’ll try that as well
Ok guys so I got a keyboard Mac compatible today at the Apple Store it works with my MacBook Pro I also asked for a specific one for Mac Pro compatibility my sad drive also boots up on my MacBook Pro so plugged both of those in and still nothing is working dunno where to go from here I would hate to get rid of this Mac pro it worked flawless until the other day any other suggestions pls

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Trying to boot a macOS installer from a USB SSD or USB HDD is a shot in the dark, it's possible, but it's not easy to find one that works. Some WD HDDs do not work as a bootable drive for a Mac, like the very common WD MyStudio.

Get a 8GB or 16GB USB key to make a createinstallmedia USB installer, USBv2.0 preferred, if you do not have a MacPro5,1 compatible bootable device you will never get any OS installed to it.

Btw, which keyboard you bought? Apple Magic Keyboards have to be paired via BT previously to work with pre-boot configuration even when connecting it to the Mac Pro via a Lightning cable, sounds stupid but it's real and a hassle. You need a USB keyboard.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.