Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jigga Beef

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2009
Philadelphia, Pa
I have a Mac Pro 5,1 that has been running great. Running Mojove 10.14.6

For about a year I've used a M.2 Evo 750 NVME in PCI slot 3 drive as my primary drive with my OS and its worked fine.

I shut down my machine last night and when I booted it up this AM it would chime but nothing showed on the screen.

I tired to general maintenance, reset SMC and PVRAM and I get a chime every time but a blank screen.

When I remove the m.2 PCI drive and boot from a Bootable SSD in HD Bay 1 the system boots from a CCC back up just fine.

I set that as the bootable drive, re-inerted the NVME drive so when my system booted to my CCC clone it runs fine, and it shows the NVME drive as an external device. I ran Disk Utility First Aid on it and it all seems fine.

I tried to set it as the new Start Up drive and Restart the machine, I get the chime and all but again its back to the blank screen.

So I've confirmed the drive is fine, I moved PCIE slots and that didn't make a difference and the system boots file when a different drive is selected.

Any ideas?

I have a have also tried a new PCIE adapter card as I thought the old card may have been the original issue.

I can see the drive and run first aid in Disc Utility when booting in Recovery mode but when I select it as the Start-Up Drive from there it does not start up, just chimes and a blank screen.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I have a Mac Pro 5,1 that has been running great. Running Mojove 10.14.6

For about a year I've used a M.2 Evo 750 NVME in PCI slot 3 drive as my primary drive with my OS and its worked fine.

I shut down my machine last night and when I booted it up this AM it would chime but nothing showed on the screen.

I tired to general maintenance, reset SMC and PVRAM and I get a chime every time but a blank screen.

When I remove the m.2 PCI drive and boot from a Bootable SSD in HD Bay 1 the system boots from a CCC back up just fine.

I set that as the bootable drive, re-inerted the NVME drive so when my system booted to my CCC clone it runs fine, and it shows the NVME drive as an external device. I ran Disk Utility First Aid on it and it all seems fine.

I tried to set it as the new Start Up drive and Restart the machine, I get the chime and all but again its back to the blank screen.

So I've confirmed the drive is fine, I moved PCIE slots and that didn't make a difference and the system boots file when a different drive is selected.

Any ideas?

I have a have also tried a new PCIE adapter card as I thought the old card may have been the original issue.

I can see the drive and run first aid in Disc Utility when booting in Recovery mode but when I select it as the Start-Up Drive from there it does not start up, just chimes and a blank screen.
I’m trying to understand your issue, but what is an EVO 750?
Did you tried to remove all other bootable drives and clear the NVRAM 3-times sequentially?

Jigga Beef

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2009
Philadelphia, Pa
Sorry, the M.2 drive I have is a Samsung 870 Evo.

Yes I have removed all drives and USB connects from the Tower, but can only boot in recovery when the CCC drive is connected.

I am trying to restore it from a TM backup right now. Maybe the OS was corrupted somehow.

I did not try 3 PVRAM in a row, hopefully, the TM restore works but that will be good to know in the future

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Sorry, the M.2 drive I have is a Samsung 870 Evo.

Yes I have removed all drives and USB connects from the Tower, but can only boot in recovery when the CCC drive is connected.

I am trying to restore it from a TM backup right now. Maybe the OS was corrupted somehow.

I did not try 3 PVRAM in a row, hopefully, the TM restore works but that will be good to know in the future
Samsung 8xx series is SATA, so should be a 970 EVO, no?
Do the 3-times sequentially clear NVRAM process and try again with a clean install to check if it’s a hardware problem or a corrupt install/backup.

Jigga Beef

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2009
Philadelphia, Pa
I was able to restore from the time machine backup but when I went to restart the computer I ran into the same issue, blank boot screen.

Trying a clean Install now.

Jigga Beef

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2009
Philadelphia, Pa
I was able to restore from the time machine backup but when I went to restart the computer I ran into the same issue, blank boot screen.

Trying a clean Install now.

Everything seems to be working fine now. Not sure if the Clean install or 3 straight PVRAM did the trick but I am able to use the system, boot from the NVME drive and lost no data!

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
Jigga Beef

Which do you have ?

This is a SATA SSD ( can be mounted on a PCIe adaptor or to the cMP SATA port ).
SAmsung 860.png

This is an NVMe PCIE ( needs to be installed on a PCIe NVMe adaptor ).
Samsung 970 Pus NVME.png

Jigga Beef

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2009
Philadelphia, Pa
I have the Samsung 960 Evo 1TB with the adapter.

Seems like this Google Update was what messed up my machine but it seems to be working well now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.