Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xbrun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2024
I have what was a fully functioning mac pro 5,1 that I was preforming a 3rd deconstruction and deep clean of the machine. After putting all the pieces back together I went to test the machine and to my surprise the gpu (ati HD 7850 3gb) fans went full boar with no signs of life. I did some testing to figure out there seems to be no communication or power on the cards pci slot. Now I would just throw another gpu in there and just deal with no native boot loader until I did the enable GOP mod, the only problem is that the mac has never booted with display without the ati card. Ive reset the NVRAM, SMC, swapped boot drives (all have open core) to no avail, I've tested my GT530,HD5770, GTX 1060 3GB, and 1080Ti with no avail. Now the only reasons I think this may be happening is that the motherboard efi chip is corrupted in some way and would need to be flashed or replaced. I do plan on trying to revive the hd7850 but haven't gotten to that point, any advice helps.

Note: I would like this to be my main pc but its not at the moment so Im not super bummed if I accidently kill it completely. Plus a replacement board is cheap.

I do have a 2010 mac mini with the dos dude1 patcher running Catalina. I'm not able to see the mac on the network when I have it running so I cant remote in to it.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Right now you just have a pile of parts that do not work. If you were someone with experience diagnosing a Mac Pro and had parts to replace, would be no big deal finding the problem.

So, buy/borrrow a cheap confirmed working mid-2010/mid-2012 Mac Pro (if you have an early-2009, get another) and start to test each component one at a time. I

f you start to buy parts, you will spend more than the value of the working Mac Pro.

Reactions: crjackson2134

xbrun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2024
Right now you just have a pile of parts that do not work. If you were someone with experience diagnosing a Mac Pro and had parts to replace, would be no big deal finding the problem.

So, buy/borrrow a cheap confirmed working mid-2010/mid-2012 Mac Pro (if you have an early-2009, get another) and start to test each component one at a time. I

f you start to buy parts, you will spend more than the value of the working Mac Pro.
Thank you for your response, have thought about buying another 5,1 and using this as a parts pc but I really don't have the space and Id rather just sell this one and get a newer mac, maybe a 2013 mac pro (bad investment but cooler machine) or a 2018 mac mini (better investment but less cool factor). I was hoping to see if anyone has had a similar issue and found a way to fix it.

This mac pro has by far been the worst computer related purchase I've ever made. I but It from a house full of smokers and it was full of black smokers dust, and it was a nice bronze when I bought It.

SMH

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.