Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

subdivisions

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2016
Hey all, I just bought a Mac Pro Trash-Can 12 core (Late 2013) and i put Monterey on it on a Samsund 990 Pro SSD. Runs great. My question, I have a 144hz screen im going to be using it on.. While i had it in my office i was able to get 120Hz on it using a Thunderbolt to DVI ACTIVE adapter.. I think i can not get 144hz on it, but 120 is great, but Can i get over 60hz using HDMI with a high end cable? I was unable too here on my test screen (Asus VG278 series) at 1920x1080 it will only do 60hz.. So after hours of research , it seems i can only do this either via Display Port, or Dual Link DVI. I'm fine with either, but want to make sure im right on this.

I ask also because i have other machines that are using this monitor, One Ubuntu Box and an Older 2010 Mac Pro that this is replacing using a DVI KVM Switch, and my streaming PC which is direct display port.. Now i know i would have to update the KVM to something that supports the Hz im looking for (not an easy find, but they are there) so im trying to make this as uncomplicated as i can.

For those wondering why 120 > 60, If you have ever used a high res gaming screen you know how much better things are > 100hz as the fluidity of the OS on the screen is a real difference maker in your eyes, and being im doing video and such on this i want it as smooth as possible.

Thanks for any imput.

subdivisions

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2016
Also like to add in, i am also looking at the possibility of maybe a DV share KVM.. because finding a DVI one that does 144hz (or anohtin gover 100hz) at 1440 is almost impossible.

frou

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2009
I'm not using DVI/HDMI anything but can at least confirm that my 6,1 (D700) does 144Hz. Cable is Mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort and the monitor is 2560x1440.

Reactions: subdivisions

subdivisions

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2016
Yea that seems to be the way im leaning.. Right now im scouring the world for a 3 port KVM Display port that does 144 at 1440p.. Have a ubuntu pc, the mac pro, and my streaming pc sharing 1 mounted 27" Acer screen. Thanks for the verofication on the DP, very helpful!

Reactions: frou
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.