Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

complaxneoda

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2017
although this is an old thread, I learn a lot in this thread. I want to share my experience about this question.

my trashcan will shutdown randomly after I max out the CPU performance. I thought this is an thermal problem at first time, but the problem still appears after I turn the fan at max speed manually. from the unexpected shutdown report, I noticed that memory issue is the cause of this event. I checked the about this Mac, I found I lost some memory slot. this can be resolve by restart or unplug the power cable. then I found this thread and check the memory status in system information. I found a lot of ECC correctable errors in slot 3 and 4 when I use cpu heavily. following intel website I found too much ECC errors will cause unexpected shutdown, so I check istat menu to collect some information about this two slots. the sensors say the temperature of my memory slot 3 and 4 is 5 degree higher than another two, so I place my Mac Pro in a cooler place which let all memory slot be the same temperature. the computer still shutdown even I set the fan run at max speed, but this problem is resolved by run cpu at 66% performance. in my situation, I always run my command with all 12 threads, I try to use 8 threads and it works.

in summary, Mac Pro 2013 thermal design can not handle its hardware performance at max. run this computer at an appropriated speed can deal with some strange problems.

macguru9999

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
I tried swapping the ram, even the cpu when this happened but in the end i had to change the memory riser board (mobo ?) that fixed it.

julik_tar

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2017
I believe it is called the CPU riser, but then there probably was some damage unlike in my case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.