Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PresidentRoss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2022
So I bought the Amfeltec Angelshark NVME x2 adapter a few websites have talked about. Keep in mind the company quoted me $450 +$50 shipping since they’re in Canada.

I used two compatible WD blue NVMEs. Followed their instructions and even recorded me putting it together which the tech said I did correctly.

But sometimes when I boot up mac or bootcamp one or both of the drives are not detected (I have my drives set to appear on the desktop) they also dont appear in disk utility (both are formatted to exfat for compatibility with Bootcamp and Mac, it’s how I format all my usbs/ssds)

I emailed Amfeltec about this several times and they refuse to respond. I asked to exchange it, no response. I filed for a return, nothing.

By now my 30 day warranty is gone, probably intentional on their part.

So I reinstalled everything and even tried the recommended Samsung evo drives, same issue

The funny thing is my Mac never fails to boot, even though the apple NVME is in the Amfeltec adapter too.

The issue happens mostly when no USB ports are being used.

But also Sometimes if I have even one usb plugged in, it fails to detect one or both nvmes, but then when I restart a few times they both appear.

It makes me wonder if the issue is:

PSU not giving the adapter enough power sometimes

Adapter is faulty

Let me just say based on their lack of caring, Im never ordering from Amfeltec again, and yes, I originally planned to.

Could any of you give a fix or have any ideas what is happening?

Edit: Link to device

Amfeltec Angelshark

cyberdogl2

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
Did you get any resolution? I'd like to buy one but for the price they're charging I wanna make sure it works as it should.

bnumerick

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2010
For what it's worth I've had one since 2020 and I haven't had any real issues with it. The only thing I recall is macOS thinking they were external drives or something. I have no experience with their customer support though so I can't comment on that.

UbiCrea

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2022
May I ask what is the benefits to have this adapter ?
The bandwidth is limited so having a double NVME wont increase the speed.
The SSD NVME cost not a lot today. I've an Intel 2TB that probably cost as of today something like 150$ max. The perf are just limited by Trash tech the bottleneck... So I wonder, what is the benefit of having this adapter ?
Thanks

bnumerick

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2010
The ability to have three internal drives is why I got it. I have a couple of colocated 2012 Mac Mini's with dual 4tb SSDs it's going to eventually replace.

steve123

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2007
Which Samsung drive did the OP use? There are compatibility issues with many of the Samsung drives and macOS and I recall there are issues with the WD Blue series as well. It may have been a fluke that the OP purchased these particular drives. Wonder if it would be possible to test the OP's config with a couple WD Black SN850x drives or the Kingston KC3000 or another NVMe drive that is known to work well? The newer drives tend to be a bit more power efficient too ... so if the issue is power related, perhaps using one of them will reduce the power and improve reliability?

cyberdogl2

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
May I ask what is the benefits to have this adapter ?
The bandwidth is limited so having a double NVME wont increase the speed.
The SSD NVME cost not a lot today. I've an Intel 2TB that probably cost as of today something like 150$ max. The perf are just limited by Trash tech the bottleneck... So I wonder, what is the benefit of having this adapter ?
Thanks
In my situation, i’m planning to raid two drives together so if one dies, my machine is still running and replacing the ssd is quick and easy. uptime is important for me and so this angelshark card is exactly what i need. still stalking for a cheaper price though.

cyberdogl2

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
Yes 3 physical ssd in a Raid1 configuration. I was considering Raid5 but i can live with less storage for more redundancy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.