Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adam9c1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 2, 2012
Chicagoland
I have a (new to me) Mac Pro 6,1. Connected to two 32" Acer monitors.

I'm a long time techie.
Prior to this, I had several 5,1. Upgraded 4,1 to 5,1 firmware, upgraded processors, etc....

In my workflow my main machine is my "home computer which is now a 6,1 that was an upgrade/switch from a 2018 Mac mini" but I also need to connect my work computer (MBP 14) to both screens at least weekly.

Initially after getting the 6,1 I had each computer connected to a different source on the monitors (DP/HDMI) but it is physically difficult to do this.
The monitors support dual inputs (HDMI and DP), but it is a pain to go through the menus to switch between sources.

I purchased a set of non powered HDMI switches (and cables) but did see the displays (blank out or display garbage) for a half a second, quite often.

Note:
Prior of me purchasing a MP 6,1 my prior computers were a Mac mini 2018 and Mac Pro 14" and both used HDMI to USB-C to connect to displays.
I would disconnect the USB-C port and connect to the correct computer. No problems.

Now as I type this:
monitor HDMI | HDMI to HDMI, HDMI to HDMI, HDMI to DP.
I'm seeing blanking out screen, (and I have not connected my 14" MBP) yet.

I wonder if my monitor to "physicall switch" is the culprit/too old.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.