Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adam9c1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 2, 2012
Chicagoland
Looking for ideas how to filter incoming air going into the Mac Pro 6,1.
This computer will be in a very dirty environment.

Yes, I can remove the cover and blow air through the heat sinks, but would rather have a solution where the air going into the computer is filtered with a removable / washable or replacable filter such as a small furnace type filter. This way I'm protecting the equipment better.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
There used to be a product called CoreFilter. It was kind of like a round stand w/ filter in which Mac Pro sat within. I imagine its going to be virtually impossible to find something like that now for the discontinued Mac Pro.

JayKay514

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2014
This computer will be in a very dirty environment.

Yes, I can remove the cover and blow air through the heat sinks, but would rather have a solution where the air going into the computer is filtered with a removable / washable or replacable filter such as a small furnace type filter. This way I'm protecting the equipment better.
You need an industrial computer enclosure for factory environments. Something like this:

That, or you need to make one yourself, that has positive air pressure flow to keep dust from infiltrating, and gaskets / filters etc, with adequate airflow to ensure cooling.

Darren.h

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2023
could mount it in a 2013 Mac Pro server case . 6.1 equals 2013 Mac Pro right? 7.1 is 2019 model.

andrewv69

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2021
Outer Space
Sounds like a DIY project. Just a quick idea I had while typing this - use a PVC pipe as an enclosure. Make some kind of mount to secure it inside, maybe a smaller diameter PVC pipe, epoxied on one side and removable on the other. Cut out a hole for the ports, preferably with a gasket and some way to index the rotation. On the exhaust side, a relatively thin dust filter should do. On the intake side, a heavier duty filter, and a fan to help with pulling air through the filter. Possibly even remove the internal fan to avoid overspinning and just use dedicated intake and exhaust fans that can force more air through.

Bonus points for getting dust covers/plugs for the ports, that is commonly overlooked and can lead to failures if the dust is conductive. Also clean out and re-paste the machine before this so if any dust does get in, you'll have more time to clean it before it starts to cook.

adam9c1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 2, 2012
Chicagoland
What I'm thinking thus far is this:

1ftx1ft furnace removable filter sitting in a thin wooden cage.
On top of that a stand for the Mac Pro so that there is a large gap between the filter and the bottom air intake.

From there, two options:
1. build out rectangular enclosure for the whole computer using thin wood planks on the edges and thin plywood as sides, cut out a hole for cabling and seal those with expando foam, and a cutout for the top - exhaust
or
2. use some sort of tape to seal up the area between the air filter and the bottom of the computer so that the ingested air is filtered.

I may start out with option 2 first to see if the air filter is actually doing anything.

Then finish with a roof, so that debris does not fall into the exhaust port of the computer.

Good point on the port covers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.