Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krakman

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
Interesting. How would you suggest I install it then, and get the firmware upgraded, if not from a USB?
  • On an Intel-based Mac, if you use Option-Command-R during startup, you might be offered the latest macOS that is compatible with your Mac.
Read more here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

Install your new Samsung and Sintech adapter then press Option-Command-R during start up.

You will enter internet recovery mode.

It will ask you to enter your internet password and then proceed to download the installer.

Use the installer app to format the SSD to APFS.

The installer will update the firmware to the latest version and then install Monterey.

Reactions: AlbertFinney

AlbertFinney

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2022
Go to SystemInformation/HardwareOverview and see the current BootROM/EFI/System Firmware Version (the name of this field changed a lot between different macOS releases), should be something like this below:

Code:
Hardware Overview:

Model Name:    Mac Pro
  Model Identifier:    MacPro6,1
  Processor Name:    6-Core Intel Xeon E5
  Processor Speed:    3,5 GHz
  Number of Processors:    1
  Total Number of Cores:    6
  L2 Cache (per Core):    256 KB
  L3 Cache:    12 MB
  Hyper-Threading Technology:    Enabled
  Memory:    16 GB
  System Firmware Version:    470.0.0.0.0
  OS Loader Version:    540.120.3~22
  SMC Version (system):    2.20f18
  Panel Illumination Version:    1.4a6

After you get the current version installed, I can suggest something that will work.

Anyway, booted from USB will never upgrade your Mac Pro firmware, the disk needs to be INTERNAL. Some people says that you can also upgrade from TB connected drives, but I never personally succeeded with a TB disk.
This is mine currently with Mojave:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro6,1
Processor Name: 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
Processor Speed: 2,7 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 12
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 30 MB
Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled
Memory: 64 GB
Boot ROM Version: 132.0.0.0.0
SMC Version (system): 2.20f18
Illumination Version: 1.4a6

Last edited:

AlbertFinney

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2022
  • On an Intel-based Mac, if you use Option-Command-R during startup, you might be offered the latest macOS that is compatible with your Mac.
Read more here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

Install your new Samsung and Sintech adapter then press Option-Command-R during start up.

You will enter internet recovery mode.

It will ask you to enter your internet password and then proceed to download the installer.

Use the installer app to format the SSD to APFS.

The installer will update the firmware to the latest version and then install Monterey.
Ah fantastic! Thank you. This sounds easy enough.

Once that is done, could I then format the internal Samsung, reinstall Mojave yet retain the firmware update?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Boot ROM Version: 132.0.0.0.0
132.0.0.0.0 is right where Apple started to remove the requirement of a AppleOEM blade for firmware updates, you have 50-50 chances, depending on the NVMe blade you will buy.

Anyway, you won't have a reliable Catalina/BigSur/Monterey install with this EFI release, too old.

AlbertFinney

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2022
132.0.0.0.0 is right where Apple started to remove the requirement of a AppleOEM blade for firmware updates, you have 50-50 chances, depending on the NVMe blade you will buy.

Anyway, you won't have a reliable Catalina/BigSur/Monterey install with this EFI release, too old.
Is there a specific NVMe (500gb) that you’d recommend for a 6,1?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Is there a specific NVMe (500gb) that you’d recommend for a 6,1?

I've been installing the combo 970 EVO Plus 2TB, the Sintech adapter and a heatsink successfully with several MacPro6,1 at work for more than 18 months, with no issues.

Also have one with my personal MacPro6,1, but it's more recent.

Heatsink is required for a MacPro6,1 and most blades, the air circulation is not enough to keep a non-heatsinked blade within the expected temps. I had several issues with blades overheating before I started to use heatsinks and even with the heatsink the temperature is over what I'd like for maximum longevity, today was a cool rainy day and the blade went to 57ºC:

Screen Shot 2023-01-01 at 21.42.10.png

AlbertFinney

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2022
I've been installing the combo 970 EVO Plus 2TB, the Sintech adapter and a heatsink successfully with several MacPro6,1 at work for more than 18 months, with no issues.

Also have one with my personal MacPro6,1, but it's more recent.

Heatsink is required for a MacPro6,1 and most blades, the air circulation is not enough to keep a non-heatsinked blade within the expected temps. I had several issues with blades overheating before I started to use heatsinks and even with the heatsink the temperature is over what I'd like for maximum longevity, today was a cool rainy day and the blade went to 57ºC:

View attachment 2135716
Good to know regarding the heat sink. I hadn’t considered that.

My MacPro sits in an air tight music studio all day, so in summer the room can get quite warm if the AC isn’t running. The Mac itself has always stayed cool though. I’ve never noticed any heating issues.

I’ll definitely use a heat sink for the new NVMe. Is there a specific one you recommend? Or a specific feature that I need to look out for when buying one?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
The size available inside the MacPro6,1 limits a lot the height/model of the heatsink you'll have to buy.

I've bought several different models until I've found this one:

It's the better dissipation that I've found that fits inside the MacPro6,1 case and it's cheap enough to not think two times about the cost. I still have one heatsink in the original box at work, I'll take a photo when I'm back to the office later this week.

AlbertFinney

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2022
The size available inside the MacPro6,1 limits a lot the height/model of the heatsink you'll have to buy.

I've bought several different models until I've found this one:

It's the better dissipation that I've found that fits inside the MacPro6,1 case and it's cheap enough to not think two times about the cost. I still have one heatsink in the original box at work, I'll take a photo when I'm back to the office later this week.
Thanks very much for this!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.