Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

catalinn82

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2023
Hi everyone,

I have an issue with my mac pro 6,1 specs: 12 cores D700 gpus , 64GB of RAM, 500GB Apple SSD.

It seems i have some Apps that freeze for example: apple music, after the fresh install i enter the app and listen to music for 1-2 min and freeze, the other app is Adobe lightroom classic , doesnt matter if i use them or just open them, the app is freezing, i do a <force quit> and thats it, but i cant get back in the app. the Mac is responsive and i can open other apps that work with no issues.

so i tried reinstalling the apps and the macOS, Everytime i did the fresh install of Monterey (installed it from internet recovery), 3 times, i get the same issue with those apps. If do restarts it the same, everytime I use that app its freezing.

Everything else works just fine, the system stays in normal temperatures, i did hardware check, NVRam reset, removed the RAM and kept only 2 modules (32GB) and also did cinebench and luxmark stress tests with no issues.

I dont know what can it can be ?

is it a monterey 12.7 issue ?

please help.

Thanks.

Catalin

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Monterey 12.7 is super stable with my late-2013 Mac Pro, with no slowdown or apps freezing.

Did you verified that your SSD is still healthy? DriveDX?

catalinn82

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2023
hi,

yes DriveDX looks ok.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-10-10 at 19.26.23.png
    Screen Shot 2023-10-10 at 19.26.23.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 85

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Wear leveling is high, I had to replace an Apple TS512C SSD with similar wear leveling and no other issues that frequently froze with some apps, it was completely annoying when it happened.

I'd test with an external drive to see if the same freezes also happens.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
i can change the ssd, what SSD NVME do you recomand ?

Before buying anything you should test with an external drive to confirm, also run Apple Diagnostics and see if any problems are revealed.

If you confirm that with the external drive everything works as expected, Samsung 970 EVO+ 2TB works fine here, I'm also testing a WD_BLACK SN770 2TB with the most recent firmware (731100WD) right now and seems to work fine too.

See the PCIe stickie thread first post for other confirmed working models. Besides the 12+16 adapter, you will also need a heatsink for the blade, something like this one (tested several models that didn't fit inside until I found it):

If you install a NVMe blade without the heatsink, it will cook itself inside the MacPro6,1.

Reactions: princeegli

catalinn82

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2023
i did run apple diagnostics and no issues, but i will try to install macOS on an external drive. thanks

solaris8x86

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2007
Saturn
Monterey 12.7 is an unstable build which is confirmed. It also kills the stablity of eGPU on thunderbolt 3 mac. Keep hanging out now. It's not recommended to upgrade to 12.7 for stability issue.

catalinn82

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2023
i will try to install 12.6.5 today to test, i tried to put 12.7 on USB stick but it got stuck in the process.

catalinn82

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2023
i just installed an new SSD an 480GB OWC Aura Pro X2, it worked just fine installed the 12,7 monterey, got the same issues !

catalinn82

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2023
i installed Sonoma with OCLP and works fine, but music app is still freezing, i also had menu bar issues in Monterey not showing icons and time for example, but in Sonoma menu bar is fine all are shown.

aldergood

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2023
Before buying anything you should test with an external drive to confirm, also run Apple Diagnostics and see if any problems are revealed.

If you confirm that with the external drive everything works as expected, Samsung 970 EVO+ 2TB works fine here, I'm also testing a WD_BLACK SN770 2TB with the most recent firmware (731100WD) right now and seems to work fine too.

See the PCIe stickie thread first post for other confirmed working models. Besides the 12+16 adapter, you will also need a heatsink for the blade, something like this one (tested several models that didn't fit inside until I found it):

If you install a NVMe blade without the heatsink, it will cook itself inside the MacPro6,1.
I'm currently use SK Hynix P31 and it works flawlessly. The temp also maintains at good temps. Overall, this drive is a very good one.

catalinn82

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2023
i'm back to monterey 12,7 i did an internet recovery, Sonoma wasnt stable.
What i forgot to tell your guys is that i also have issues with Menu Bar (music app still crashing or if not when i Quit it it freezing), so in Menu Bar i'm not seeing some icons and the clock, i booted in safe mode and everything was fine all icons and the clock.

i searched on the internet and i found out that there are some people with this issue (with older versions of monterey) but i didnt found any fix for it.

i tried safe mode, reinstall several times, changed the SSD with a new one.
NVRAM reset

if you have any ideas please let me know thanks !

Attachments

• Image.jpeg
    Image.jpeg
    449.6 KB · Views: 51

PeterLD

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2020
Germany
💣 On 28 September 2023 I updated my MacBook Pro 14-inch 2021 M1 Pro from Monterey 12.6.9 to 12.7. The update failed. The screen was black and the Mac unresponsive.

It could be switched off by holding the power key. A normal start did not work. Holding the power key down showed "Continue holding for startup options", "Loading startup options", black screen. I could repeat this loop indefinitely.

After some false starts Derek, an Apple Support agent near Boston, told me to use Apple Configurator to revive or restore the Mac. I booked an appointment at the local Apple Store and Wolfgang tried "revive" unsuccessfully, so the "restore" wiped the disk and installed Sonoma.

I prefer not to move immediately to a version zero macOS, so I created a bootable installer USB for Monterey 12.7, wiped the disk and installed. The installation failed in exactly the same way as before.

❓ Has anyone else had this problem on a M1 MacBook Pro? Mine has been rock-solid reliable since May 2022. Is Monterey 12.7 bad?

Wolfgang at the Apple Store restored the disk and installed Sonoma again. This time I chose to accept the new macOS and migrate from the Time Machine backup I took immediately before the update. Everything so far seems to work and I have lost no data.

💡 While without my MacBook I used a much older one as a backup. I'm glad I had it, and could read (with some difficulty) from Time Machine backups. I shall continue never to update automatically and always to make a backup first. I will save a few essential files more often to a USB stick. Why doesn't Apple offer an option with automatic update to force a Time Machine backup first?

Lazyass0

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2020
💣 On 28 September 2023 I updated my MacBook Pro 14-inch 2021 M1 Pro from Monterey 12.6.9 to 12.7. The update failed. The screen was black and the Mac unresponsive.

It could be switched off by holding the power key. A normal start did not work. Holding the power key down showed "Continue holding for startup options", "Loading startup options", black screen. I could repeat this loop indefinitely.

After some false starts Derek, an Apple Support agent near Boston, told me to use Apple Configurator to revive or restore the Mac. I booked an appointment at the local Apple Store and Wolfgang tried "revive" unsuccessfully, so the "restore" wiped the disk and installed Sonoma.

I prefer not to move immediately to a version zero macOS, so I created a bootable installer USB for Monterey 12.7, wiped the disk and installed. The installation failed in exactly the same way as before.

❓ Has anyone else had this problem on a M1 MacBook Pro? Mine has been rock-solid reliable since May 2022. Is Monterey 12.7 bad?

Wolfgang at the Apple Store restored the disk and installed Sonoma again. This time I chose to accept the new macOS and migrate from the Time Machine backup I took immediately before the update. Everything so far seems to work and I have lost no data.

💡 While without my MacBook I used a much older one as a backup. I'm glad I had it, and could read (with some difficulty) from Time Machine backups. I shall continue never to update automatically and always to make a backup first. I will save a few essential files more often to a USB stick. Why doesn't Apple offer an option with automatic update to force a Time Machine backup first?
Read from here on ;) Yes 12.7 and 13.6 are somehow bad and I can feel they will release x.x.1 with fix :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.