Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hunter5117

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
I have a 6,1 that I bought last year, NOS so I put AppleCare on it until 2023. Runs great on Big Sur. I did upgrade to 64gb of Samsung ram. And I added an Apple original 1TB SSD.

I see varied results with upgrading to Monterey, sleep issues, video issues etc.

Keeping current macOS was one of the reasons I upgraded my 5,1 so I would very much like to be running Monterey along with my 2 MBPs.

Anybody care to comment or offer their thoughts if they have upgraded or intend to upgrade? TIA.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I'm a developer, but I'm also a system administrator - I'm saying this as a professional that maintains a considerable number of Macs and we never upgrade the Macs we support to the first or second dot releases, it's usually the xx.3 version that will be pushed to all Macs.

It is unwise to trade Big Sur's stability/maturity for the problems of early Monterey releases. It is very problematic to rely on the first version for a professional environment.

Let other people to find the issues, install when the problems are already corrected.

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
So far my 6,1 is working fine on Monterey - I used the normal upgrade option. It is used for doing general work.

My 6,1 was already nearly the maximum spec, I only had to upgrade the CPU to the 12 core 2.7 which I did do long ago.

Only thing I noticed is that it was a little slower to start up now otherwise nothing else to note. It's still amazing how quick that little machine is.

Hunter5117

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
So I decided to go ahead and upgrade this morning. All apparently went well. I was working on some other things while it ran the update, when I got back to it, it was finished and busy indexing all my drives.

Since Monterey has been pretty flawless on my two MBPs I figured it was worth the chance.

I may not get a chance to do any serious work on it until next week but so far so good.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

BubbaMc

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2010
I'm a developer, but I'm also a system administrator - I'm saying this as a professional that maintains a considerable number of Macs and we never upgrade the Macs we support to the first or second dot releases, it's usually the xx.3 version that will be pushed to all Macs.

It is unwise to trade Big Sur's stability/maturity for the problems of early Monterey releases. It is very problematic to rely on the first version for a professional environment.

Let other people to find the issues, install when the problems are already corrected.
Agreed. I'm getting kernel panics constantly on mine.

Reactions: edanuff
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.