Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jtmatchett

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2017
I am looking into upgrading my Mac Pro 6,1 from the original 1TB SSD to a Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB. I have read a lot of recommendations saying to use the EKWB heat sink with it. Many of the reviews for EKWB heat sink state that it’s very hard to get both clips on the Samsung 970 EVO.

Does anyone has experience with upgrading their Mac Pro 6,1 with the 970 Evo and what heatsink would you recommend that fits well inside the 6,1 casing?

Does the Sintech NGFF M.2 nVME adapter work well with the 970 Evo?

Crwoo

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2010
I used the NGFF M.2 nVME adapter and it worked good. You just make sure it‘s seated well.
keep in mind, you can‘t use internet recovery to install MacOS if you use the NVME SSD.
I booted from a USB drive and everything went well.

jtmatchett

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2017
I used the NGFF M.2 nVME adapter and it worked good. You just make sure it‘s seated well.
keep in mind, you can‘t use internet recovery to install MacOS if you use the NVME SSD.
I booted from a USB drive and everything went well.

Good advice! Thank you.

Did you use a heatsink? If so, what kind?

th0masp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2015
The Trashcan gets pretty balmy inside, a good deal warmer than a regular desktop PC for sure. Stock Apple SSD's also comes with a heatsink, so...

Is the 970 Evo any fatter than the Pro? Because I use the latter and getting that particular heatsink on was no major issue. Admittedly in my case it's not lining up perfectly with the screw hole on the GPU's mount but good enough to safely lock the assembly in place.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Even with a much cooler inside MP5,1, a 970 PRO/EVO/EVO+ without a heatsink can easily overheat itself with OS installs/updates or backups.

Start monitoring your SSD with DriveDX, anything over 70ºC and you have to install a heatsink or you will cook your blade. Btw, everything works fine at the beginning, but you will have greatly reduced write persistence one year later.

Ideal maximum temperature would be around low fifties, when in heavy use.

Crwoo

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2010
Do you have any overheating issues or suffer in performance from not using one?
I did not monitor temperature, but I never had any problems. I have since upgraded to the 2019, so I can't check how it it's running.

edanuff

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2008
I put in a Samsung EVO Plus 2TB with the Simtech long adapter and the EKWB EK-M.2 heatsink. iStat Menus and Drive DX both report temps around 65ºC. This seems higher than I'd expect but reasonably sure I installed the heatsink correctly.

edanuff

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2008
I rechecked the placement of the EKWB heatsink and replaced the thermal pads that came with the heatsink with Artic thermal pads just to make sure. No real change in temperature, still around 65ºC. At this point, I'm going to assume that's the best that can be done unless someone else has had better results. It does look like there's room for a slightly larger heatsink but I think Samsungs just run very hot, especially in 2TB configurations and clearly the nMP doesn't have great ventilation.

IMG_0933.jpeg

qaz111111

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2005
I bought a thermaltake box fan with a speed controller and usb plug. It sits on top of the 6,1 in a piece of foam with the square cut out of the middle. My temp monitor rarely moves over 36 degrees. If it foes I turn up the fan speed and the temp comes down. Before this fan the machine would heat up into the 40"s and [performance would suffer. This is a Max'd out 6,1 12 core 64 gb RAM with the factory 1 Tb SSD..

I want to go to the 4 Tb sabrent?

Attachments

• IMG_8883.JPG
    IMG_8883.JPG
    382.6 KB · Views: 369

Digital_Frank

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2019
I have been using the 2TB HP EX950 SSD for about a year without a heat sink.
I adjusted the fan speed to idle around 900-1000 RPM and temps are typically around 35C or 45C when coping large files.

I did buy a heatsink, but since the HP SSD is double sided (ICs on both sides) I didn't like how it fit.
The slightly faster fan speed keeps the SSD cool and just about everything else inside the Mac :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.