Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Itconnects

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 14, 2020
I want to use this for Logic Pro. My mbp experiences severe throttling with Logic Pro. I’m wondering if the 6,1 performs as well as the 5,1 thermally, if not better

CC88

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2010
I use my macpro 6.1 for cpu based 3D rendering. I use fan control to speed up fan when CPU reaches certain temperature.

I haven't had any problem at the moment with the cpu temperature. It's always under 50°C also in heavy load.

Reactions: MisterAndrew

Itconnects

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 14, 2020
I use my macpro 6.1 for cpu based 3D rendering. I use fan control to speed up fan when CPU reaches certain temperature.

I haven't had any problem at the moment with the cpu temperature. It's always under 50°C also in heavy load.

thanks for you response. Logic is very particular with throttling and how it reacts tp CPU. I would hate to spend the money and find out it does this

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
I don't know about Logic Pro specifically, but the only thermal throttling issues I've read people complain about pertained to the D700 GPUs, but it appears not everyone experiences that. I haven't read anything about thermal throttle issues with the CPUs. Perhaps try out a D500 unit (which seem to be the most stable) with a 6, 8, or 12 core CPU. I read posts by someone who said Logic Pro ran much worse on their 2018 Mac mini than their 2013 Mac Pro. If the MBP has issues like the mini then perhaps the Mac Pro will perform better. These are the kind of tasks the Mac Pro workstation was designed for.

Reactions: Itconnects

Itconnects

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 14, 2020
I don't know about Logic Pro specifically, but the only thermal throttling issues I've read people complain about pertained to the D700 GPUs, but it appears not everyone experiences that. I haven't read anything about thermal throttle issues with the CPUs. Perhaps try out a D500 unit (which seem to be the most stable) with a 6, 8, or 12 core CPU. I read posts by someone who said Logic Pro ran much worse on their 2018 Mac mini than their 2013 Mac Pro. If the MBP has issues like the mini then perhaps the Mac Pro will perform better. These are the kind of tasks the Mac Pro workstation was designed for.

Agreed. The Mac mini might perform phenomenal, but for how long. Mac Pro 5.1 is relentless. It never slows down no matter what. If the 6.1 is like that with more power i def would like to switch with an amphitec shark

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.