Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pawnhawk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2019
Hi, I have a Mac Pro 6.1 and was going to upgrade CPU, watched all videos and seemed to be simple, so got the cpu started to dismantle mac pro, all went well to I got to take out cpu. There are supposed to be 8 torx screws that hold the cpu to the board, but to my suprise only 4 of the screws have torx, the other 4 are completely flat no torx at all, was this a new way to stop any upgrade of cpu or was it done on later Mac Pro 6.1.
Any help would be appreciated

frou

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2009
Have you owned the unit from brand new? If not, maybe someone has messed with it in the past.

Pawnhawk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2019
Hi, No not owned from new but there's no marks at all, it did not look as though anyone had been there before me, also there was loads of dust lumps in there. All the videos I had seen showed all screws that hold cpu had torx, so it seemed funny that only 4 had them. I thought that it may have been a Apple upgrade to prevent any cpu upgrade.
I just hope someone as an answer to it

flat4

Contributor
Jul 14, 2009
There is stickers covering the inside 4 then are not flat just making sure you are aware

The_Interloper

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
There is stickers covering the inside 4 then are not flat just making sure you are aware
This is correct. I've done these CPU upgrades twice and there are 4 flat black stickers - just pull them off or push your screwdriver into them to break them.

Pawnhawk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2019
Hi thanks for replies, I thought I had checked for them but not sure now, I did check the other side and there are stickers there, I pulled one off and all I could see was the end of the screw that hold cpu in place. I have put it all back together now, but will have another go tomorrow, once again thanks for your help and will report back tomorrow.

Pawnhawk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2019
Hi again, Just a quick post to thank everyone for their help, you were right the torx screws were covered by stickers, why they do this I have no idea.
It's all done and working great with new cpu installed once again thanks.

Reactions: flat4
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.