Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kentrent

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2022
Hello MacRumors family! Since Apple is cancelling the Extreme for the Mac Pro 8,1... and we know the next Mac Pro will have some sort of expandability, but nobody knows what form that will come in. Memory and graphic options will be vastly lower than the current Intel based Mac Pro 7,1. Thus, in my opinion, it is more like a replacement for the Mac Pro 6,1 rather than a replacement for the 7,1. With that said, I think the Mac Pro 7,1 will be still in demand despite the new Mac Pro 8,1 with Apple Silicon because of the RAM and the powerful graphics cards.

What do you think? Let's discuss and share your thoughts about the current Mac Pro and future Mac Pro 8,1.

If you own one, share your specs... :). I love my current Mac Pro 7,1 with the following specs:
2.5 Ghz - 28 Cores CPU
384 GB Ram
8TB SSD, 36TB HDD (via Sonnet Fusion)
2X Vega II Duo
Afterburner Card

Reactions: GlynH

bax2003

Cancelled
Dec 25, 2011
My opinion is that discussion based on rumors is just waste of time. Specs of Mac Pro 8,1 are unknown, end of story. Nobody spends thousands od eur/$ based on rumors. Mac Pro is not a toy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.