Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bs80

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2023
Hello community,

I have a MacPro 7.1 and got a CPU error report at the beginning ( that's how it started ). After that the Mac restarted every now and then. If I tested Cinebench or transferred a lot of data from a SSD via Thunderbolt it also froze or went off. At some point it didn't boot up to the operating system and I was able to wipe the hard drive using Disk Utility because I thought it might be something with some software. Unfortunately this was not the case. After hours of rebooting I managed to reboot the operating system again (also many times it went off again and again). After the operating system (Ventura) was back on it I thought OK maybe it was now and the error is gone. But he booted sometimes yes and sometimes no with error and always restarts. Then it started normally and I could move around in Ventura, but when I went to the screen saver settings it froze again or restarted. OK then I went to the Apple Store and was able to demonstrate the error and left the device there, unfortunately the warranty has expired and an Apple Care I have not continued. Apple thinks it would be probably 99% of the processor (and this is far from cheap at Apple). I do not know if anyone has ever had this kind of error and can perhaps give me some advice and whether it is also the CPU at all ? After I picked up the MAC, the hard drive has been completely erased by the Apple Store and unfortunately I can't reload it because it always restarts with the error message. For tips and assessments I would be very grateful.

Greetings

Attachments

• ErrorMacPro.png
    ErrorMacPro.png
    4 MB · Views: 186
  • MAC.png
    MAC.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 88
  • ErrorStartup.png
    ErrorStartup.png
    913.7 KB · Views: 90

bcomer

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2008
Ottawa
Sorry for your issue - this is why I am on an annual AppleCare+ subscription for my 2019 MacPro.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I believe you can ask Apple to perform swap test to confirm if the CPU is faulty (otherwise, there is no way for you to know if that's the real issue, and worth to pay for the fix). Then you can decide if you want them to replace the CPU for you, If not, you can get back your 7,1 for free (checking and disgnosis are free, even involve swap test).

It's extremely rare that an Intel Xeon is faulty. If you mean that panic report start with "CPU...", then it's not a sign of CPU failure. That's just a report about the failed thread was handled by which CPU core.

Unless it's always the same core (e.g. always CPU 0 in your case) reported. Then the chance of CPU core 0 has issue is greatly incresed.

MrScratchHook

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2022
United States
what im about to ask is possibly of no help to you, but, they couldn't reinstall an operating system?(monterey?) hell, they wiped it, they shouldn't of handed back a macos less cpu.

smckenzie

macrumors member
May 7, 2022
Have you tried an SMC reset? I and another 7,1 owner were having issues, mine with lag whilst rendering and him with hard lockups and shutdowns. An SMC reset fixed both of our issues. Worth a shot?

Reactions: prefuse07

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
what im about to ask is possibly of no help to you, but, they couldn't reinstall an operating system?(monterey?) hell, they wiped it, they shouldn't of handed back a macos less cpu.
It might not stay alive long enough to do that.

I’d be asking for a swap test to know it’s the CPU. That’s an expensive CPU to replace.

Xeon processors do occasionally fail, rare, but they do. I’ve had one X5690 go.

Reactions: MrScratchHook

bs80

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2023
Apple has tried all the diagnoses and possibilities, that's what they told me. In the end, they returned the Mac free of everything and when it starts it tries to install the operating system. It shows that it will take 12 minutes, then it makes it to 9 or 8 minutes and crashes and reboots and then comes the boot screen I attached. They told me you assume 99% that it is the CPU and you can order this when I make the order with you and use. However, the price is very heavy and I have now found on the Internet a 28Core Xeon for MacPro half the cost than at Apple.

bs80

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2023
Have you tried an SMC reset? I and another 7,1 owner were having issues, mine with lag whilst rendering and him with hard lockups and shutdowns. An SMC reset fixed both of our issues. Worth a shot?
Yes, Apple has tested all possibilities so I was told. Before that, I tried all the fun myself for 2 days. Thanks

bs80

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2023
I managed to install an operating system once in the beginning, with about 20 crashes in the middle. At the end, thank God, everything was back on and I thought it was running again, but then you just had to go into the system settings and click on screen saver settings and it froze and did nothing more. Or Cinebench I got loaded to load CPU times, this started briefly and then crashed directly in the CPU test. Now I can't even get the operating system to install it keeps crashing and rebooting with the error message

Attachments

• ErrorStartup.png
    ErrorStartup.png
    913.7 KB · Views: 47
  • Sad

bs80

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2023
I'm curious -- OP, did you buy the machine configured with the 28 cores, or did you perform that upgrade yourself?
I bought the Mac that way, but I don't want to put as much money into a CPU as Apple is asking for. I already did that when I ordered this one. There are for half the price (4000$) intel Xeon 28 cores (a QS version of the processor is even cheaper but I do not want to install). Greetings

bs80

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2023
I believe you can ask Apple to perform swap test to confirm if the CPU is faulty (otherwise, there is no way for you to know if that's the real issue, and worth to pay for the fix). Then you can decide if you want them to replace the CPU for you, If not, you can get back your 7,1 for free (checking and disgnosis are free, even involve swap test).

It's extremely rare that an Intel Xeon is faulty. If you mean that panic report start with "CPU...", then it's not a sign of CPU failure. That's just a report about the failed thread was handled by which CPU core.

Unless it's always the same core (e.g. always CPU 0 in your case) reported. Then the chance of CPU core 0 has issue is greatly incresed.

What exactly is this SWAP test ? Apple told me they tested everything. Of course, unfortunately not said what exactly they have tested.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
What exactly is this SWAP test ? Apple told me they tested everything. Of course, unfortunately not said what exactly they have tested.
Swap another known good parts to test if any specific parts on your 7,1 is faulty.

e.g. In your case, if they suspect the CPU is the problem. They should swap in a know good CPU, not necessary the same 28 cores Xeon. Just any known good compatible CPU can do the job.

Since you can reproduce the problem. Swap test can be very effective if your existing Xeon is faulty.

Reactions: bs80

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
I bought the Mac that way, but I don't want to put as much money into a CPU as Apple is asking for. I already did that when I ordered this one. There are for half the price (4000$) intel Xeon 28 cores (a QS version of the processor is even cheaper but I do not want to install). Greetings
Be aware that a QS cpu can be unpredictable as well.

bs80

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2023
I could get a MacPro 8Core CPU to test if it really is the processor. I think it makes sense to install this to see if the Mac then reacts normally again ?

Greetings

Reactions: h9826790

bs80

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2023
Can you try other SSD?
Unfortunately, I do not have another original Apple SSD to replace. Otherwise I would have tested this as well. Do you think it is not from the CPU but from the SSD?

Wokis

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
I would not start with swapping CPU. It might be the culprit but in general it's uncommon.

What is far more common is RAM-issues manifesting themselves as a CPU error. The IMC is on the CPU so if it fails to communicate with memory properly then the "CPU is having issues" when it might just not be its own fault.

Have you tried removing all but the first stick of RAM (re-seat it and swap it with another stick also) to see what happens?

Reactions: Rimmsi
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.