Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Which RX6800 (or 6900) card is the best to get for the 7,1? When I search online I see several versions and prices all over the map? (I have a w5700x card that I suspect is the root cause of all my problems the past 3 years).

Glad you are finally thinking of taking my advice👍🏻

I have a Gigibyte RX6800XT in mine. The Gigabyte from factors fit, but the Gigabyte Aorus series are too long. Also the Reference RX6800, RTX6800XT and RX6900XT all fit.

Lou

AlexMaximus

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
A400M Base
Thanks, that's great info.

What is the port layout on that Dell 6800? Is it like the reference card? Also is it a 6800XT?
It is the 6800XT and it has 1x HDMI and 3x Display Port. The heat sink looks very similar to the Vega7 card (just with a black plastic shroud) that I used to have. Since the heat sink is so compact and the original intended Aurora chassis is so restricted, it’s most likely that it runs a bit slower compared to a full size three slot monster card.

• Wow
Reactions: ZombiePhysicist

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014
It is the 6800XT and it has 1x HDMI and 3x Display Port. The heat sink looks very similar to the Vega7 card (just with a black plastic shroud) that I used to have. Since the heat sink is so compact and the original intended Aurora chassis is so restricted, it’s most likely that it runs a bit slower compared to a full size three slot monster card.

Super interesting. Since it worked so well for you I was assuming it was the AMD Reference design (like the Sonnet card) with the 1USB, 2 DP, 1HDMI ports, just packaged more tightly. But those ports are not the reference ports and it still works great. Some non-references cards may work just great too. Thanks for the great info!

avkills

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
1. All my USB Slots work. - I have more than enough USB ports with my USB expansion card and the ports on my display. There are plenty of video slots on my GPU. Thunderbolt - HUH❗️

2. Powered by the MPX slot is a feature❓

Lou
You did not understand what I meant; with a MPX card, any USB-C port (excluding any additional ports added by other PCI cards) on the machine can potentially be used as a display output. Non-MPX cards can only use the display outputs built into the card. Now I'm not saying this is how I would normally operate but it is indeed a feature present on MPX cards. Although currently I am using a thunderbolt output on the I/O card. Without a MPX style card you can't drive any displays from the I/O Cards 2 USB-C/Thunderbolt ports. And maybe you do not need to, great! For certain things I need to do, I need that ability. Currently I have 6 displays connected (4 4K@60Hz, 1 Ultrawide 3840x1600 and 1 1080p.) I am going to be changing this up a bit though since I have shifted most work to my M3 laptop. More than likely going to put my 580X GPU back in so I will have that and the W6800X Duo; which will work better for the instance I need all those monitors active.

Yes getting powered by the MPX slot is a feature because it simplifies installation and did not require me to add cabling inside the tower.

I understand the reasoning behind not getting a MPX module because of the cost involved.

But this thread is an argument about spending money *right now* on something that is basically a dead end. Why would you spend money trying to upgrade the CPU (which is going to be expensive unless you buy used, and a pain in the ass to install); instead of investing in Apple Silicon which has a longer future and is faster.

Perhaps the OP has a specific reason on needing the 2019 Mac Pro which has been left out from the original post.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
You did not understand what I meant; with a MPX card, any USB-C port (excluding any additional ports added by other PCI cards) on the machine can potentially be used as a display output. Non-MPX cards can only use the display outputs built into the card. Now I'm not saying this is how I would normally operate but it is indeed a feature present on MPX cards. Although currently I am using a thunderbolt output on the I/O card. Without a MPX style card you can't drive any displays from the I/O Cards 2 USB-C/Thunderbolt ports. And maybe you do not need to, great! For certain things I need to do, I need that ability. Currently I have 6 displays connected (4 4K@60Hz, 1 Ultrawide 3840x1600 and 1 1080p.) I am going to be changing this up a bit though since I have shifted most work to my M3 laptop. More than likely going to put my 580X GPU back in so I will have that and the W6800X Duo; which will work better for the instance I need all those monitors active.

Yes getting powered by the MPX slot is a feature because it simplifies installation and did not require me to add cabling inside the tower.

I understand the reasoning behind not getting a MPX module because of the cost involved.

But this thread is an argument about spending money *right now* on something that is basically a dead end. Why would you spend money trying to upgrade the CPU (which is going to be expensive unless you buy used, and a pain in the ass to install); instead of investing in Apple Silicon which has a longer future and is faster.

Perhaps the OP has a specific reason on needing the 2019 Mac Pro which has been left out from the original post.
Do the Silicon models run WIndows apps?

Reactions: prefuse07

avkills

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
Do the Silicon models run WIndows apps?
That requirement was never mentioned by the original poster and is definitely a valid argument towards keeping the Intel Mac Pro. Others have posted that the ARM version of Windows works by running VM software on Apple Silicon; but my guess is hardly any apps have been optimized for ARM on the Windows side, so they probably run like crap and isn't worth it.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
That requirement was never mentioned by the original poster and is definitely a valid argument towards keeping the Intel Mac Pro. Others have posted that the ARM version of Windows works by running VM software on Apple Silicon; but my guess is hardly any apps have been optimized for ARM on the Windows side, so they probably run like crap and isn't worth it.
Was in response to a single statement you made;
"instead of investing in Apple Silicon which has a longer future and is faster."
Depending on your use case.

avkills

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
Was in response to a single statement you made;
"instead of investing in Apple Silicon which has a longer future and is faster."
Depending on your use case.
Well in my eyes it would be strange for someone to spend on a Mac Pro specifically to run Windows. Pretty much everything depends on use case unless you absolutely can’t live without being on macOS. 🤷

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Well in my eyes it would be strange for someone to spend on a Mac Pro specifically to run Windows. Pretty much everything depends on use case unless you absolutely can’t live without being on macOS. 🤷
Possibly, but I go to qiuote a few publishing/design houses, (at least I think that's what they are), and they all seem to dual boot. Must be a reason for it.

Last edited:

AlexMaximus

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
A400M Base
Super interesting. Since it worked so well for you I was assuming it was the AMD Reference design (like the Sonnet card) with the 1USB, 2 DP, 1HDMI ports, just packaged more tightly. But those ports are not the reference ports and it still works great. Some non-references cards may work just great too. Thanks for the great info!
Here are two shots of the card

IMG_3187.jpeg IMG_4233.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.