Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
So, none of that worked. I returned the adapter to Amazon and ordered an LD Ultrafine 5K 27" display instead.

It worked the first time!

~f

Still disappointing, but maybe not entirely surprising. Amazon is choked with small Chinese brands and clones now that it's hard to tell which ones aren't just blowing hot air.

codehead1

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2011
If you work for Dell, why not grab the UP3218K? 4K HiDPI is ridiculously awesome.

I don't quite see the fascination of the XDR at $5,999.00. It's not a reference monitor despite their best efforts to sell it as such and professional reviews back that up.
Checked out the UP3218K, wow, amazing monitor, and the esthetics are great too, unlike the marginal LG. I understand why you like it. For my uses, the extra pixels (versus 6K XDR) are not significant, but they are inconvenient to scaling. That would bother me probably more than the huge savings is worth, unfortunately. Too bad, the price point is really attractive for 8K, its specs, and the packaging. It'll fit some other people better than it does me.

Yes, I'm sure the XDR does hold fascination for many people. It has features I won't make use of, which just makes the cost more ridiculous. But, there are limited choices. If the other choice don't have what I want, it doesn't matter that they are a better value. Realistically, the LG could cover it, just that I'd rather have the size of the XDR. (Still holding out the possibility for buying the LG first, sell it if it's not good enough. Also, maybe I look less insane considering the XDR if I point out I still consult in my spare time, and have ongoing software royalties, so it will be a Schedule C purchase. It doesn't make it free, but it does divert some otherwise tax dollars back to my pocket and amounts to healthy discount.)

Reactions: Adult80HD

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
Sorry, does this monitor work on macOS or not? I was under the impression 8k wasn’t functioning correctly - is 4K @ 2x mode working?

It does but currently only with 1 x DP1.4 cable at 30Hz. I'm running 4K HiDPI (4K @ 2x scaling) and it looks amazing, despite the low refresh rate.

I'm still writing my weekly rant to Apple to get full support ... like the Dell UP2715K which also uses tiling.

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
It does but currently only with 1 x DP1.4 cable at 30Hz. I'm running 4K HiDPI (4K @ 2x scaling) and it looks amazing, despite the low refresh rate.

I'm still writing my weekly rant to Apple to get full support ... like the Dell UP2715K which also uses tiling.

OK, that's interesting - I hadn't realised a single cable could feed both panels in the display.

DJO

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2004
Hi from New Zealand,

I have two LG 32'' 32UL950-W 4K Monitors connected to my Mac Pro 2019

https://www.lg.com/nz/it-monitors/lg-32ul950-w

Connect fine to the Thunderbolt 3 ports.

As a middle of the range user, a very good low-cost alternative to Apple XDR

Many ports to provide a range of options for connecting to other peripherals et cetera

I hope this is helpful

Cheers,
Dave :):)

Reactions: MarkC426
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.