Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pengu

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2005
Diddily Daddily...
well i dont know about a macpro, but i have a g5 powermac, and i dont really know how you could think these cases are plastic? looks like metal. feels like metal. just because it isnt black with holes and plexi windows in the side or dented/warped because it doesnt actually fit properly doesn't mean it isnt metal.

Macinposh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2006
Kreplakistan
And how I'm a a troll for pointing out that the case appears to be plastic?

Mr_Mackey.jpg

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
Yeah, I did. Appeared to be plastic made to appear to be metal. I've built lots of PCs since the early 90s, and this wasn't like any metal case I've dealt with.

And unlike those PC cases made out of extremely thin metal, the Mac Pro case is made out of relatively thick aluminum.

There is no way anybody can mistake it for plastic though. It's cold, it's hard, it's heavy, it's thick, it's not flexible... etc etc

If you actually believe it's plastic, then I guess you're going to just have to take our (or Apple's) word for it that almost the entire thing (save for drive doors) is made of metal.

And how I'm a a troll for pointing out that the case appears to be plastic?

Because that observation is just stupid and makes us believe you probably never actually saw it.

psycho bob

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2003
Leeds, England
Having dropped a G5 on my foot and also taken a nick out of one dropping, ironically, a PC on the top front handle I can vouch it is very much metal. Nobody in a month of Sundays could mistake it for plastic. Just feel the thing they are always cold. I actually put my original 1.6GHz unit in to storage for a while outside, the thing condensed up and made a great fridge.

Another clear indicator it is metal can be seen on the inside. The frame for the door is riveted and there are no stress marks showing externally. The unfortunate thing about the inside appears to be the use of non anodized aluminium that reacts badly to moisture and the oils secreted by human skin. It corrodes the surface turning it cloudy white; even lighter fluid won't remove it.

A US mac service centre was selling empty G5 cases for around $500 a year or so ago. That would make it about the most expensive non server case available. I bought an aluminium case in the UK for a custom PC project, it cost me around £100. Compared to the G5/Macpro it appeared to be made out of tin cans, it rattled, warped and felt like paper. It was light though! Always trade offs in these things :)

MacBass

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2005
La Crosse, WI
Yes it is gorgeous, I'd just love to see Apple make a smaller version with a conroe, 2HDD bays, 1 optical drive, 4 so-dimm slots, graphics card and one or two open pci slots. Honestly the Mac Pro is a bit big and overkill for my needs.

Notice I didn't bring up Sleepy Hollow. :D

I would love a machine like that, but alas, I'll probably end up getting a mini, solely because I can't afford anything else. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.