Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Mac Pro "drivers" haven't been "added".The only thing added is a form telling Apple what you're using bootcamp on.

I selected ALL of them and the size of the download is the same.

aaron.lee2006

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 23, 2006
Ontario, Canada
But how does that work. A MacBook contains an integrated graphics card, when you download bootcamp for the MacBook you get the intel drivers. When you download bootcamp for an MBP you get the ATI drivers for the graphics card. I think this is a new addition.

seanf

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2006
UK
aaron.lee2006 said:
But how does that work
The download contains drivers for all of the Intel based range rather than a specific download for the machine you are using.

Sean :)

Lincoln

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2003
UK
I've been reserching getting the Mac Pro working with SATA and XP (at full SATA speeds) whilst I await my Mac Pro.

I apologise if its already been posted, but I found the followinga rticle on this subject: http://www.macprojournal.com/xp.html

I will be giving this ago when I get my Mac Pro.

jsbaileymac

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2006
Dead keyboard installing XP on MAC PRO

I followed the Bootcamp instructions to the letter creating a 32 GB partition for Windows XP on my new MAC PRO..

When I tried to install Windows XP, a response was needed at the blue screen: New install (enter), Repair, R or F3 to exit. My keyboard was dead and if I tried to reboot, the CD with XP on it tried to install again – couldn’t get the CD out. The mouse was dead as well. Apple care was unable to help.

Has anyone had this problem? Should I have installed the CD that Bootcamp created before trying to install Window XP?

BadRambo

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2006
jsbaileymac said:
I followed the Bootcamp instructions to the letter creating a 32 GB partition for Windows XP on my new MAC PRO..

When I tried to install Windows XP, a response was needed at the blue screen: New install (enter), Repair, R or F3 to exit. My keyboard was dead and if I tried to reboot, the CD with XP on it tried to install again – couldn’t get the CD out. The mouse was dead as well. Apple care was unable to help.

Has anyone had this problem? Should I have installed the CD that Bootcamp created before trying to install Window XP?
-----
Looking back on my history, and work of others, especially Waremaster and others....first, I had the same keyboard problem. My method around that was to simply plug in a standard PC keyboard, which worked. Try that. But before all that, you MUST get set up to make a new, modified install disk for XP. I don't have the website at my finger tips, but it is posted here many places...do a search on Waremaster. He has done a lot of work collecting information on the process and has pub'd it on his own web site too.

I went through the process of creating the new disc and it works very well. But you must follow every detail to the letter. Find the site -- read it --- collect the goodies and go!!! You won't regret the effort. The main purpose of making the new install disc is to ADD THE SATA DRIVERS THAT ARE MISSING IN BOOTCAMP. Otherwise your install will run so slow, it will drive you crazy. The Mac Pro rocks with the right drivers installed.

Good Luck -- Bob --- :D

seanf

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2006
UK
jsbaileymac said:
My keyboard was dead and if I tried to reboot, the CD with XP on it tried to install again – couldn’t get the CD out. The mouse was dead as well. Apple care was unable to help.
You need to use a USB keyboard during installation. If you have a USB Mighty Mouse you need to unplug this before starting. With regards to AppleCare, Apple do not offer any support for problems with installing XP:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/terms.html said:
Apple has provided, as part of the Apple Software package, access to certain third party software as a convenience. To the extent that the Apple Software contains third party software, Apple has no express or implied obligation to provide any technical or other support for such software. Please contact the appropriate software vendor or manufacturer directly for technical support and customer service related to its software and products
Sean :)

John Inman

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2006
WinXP installation woes

I have used the following method for getting the CD drive open during a WinXP install:
1- Gently pull the aluminum CD cover down to reveal the front bezel of the
installed superdrive.
2- Use a very thin knife blade or similiar tool and gently push the eject
button (the very top of the button is visible) and remove the tool. The
drive will open.
I have used this method several times to install an upgrade version of WinXP which required that you insert an install disk of a previous version of windows. I used a Windows 98 disk.

Another method which works is to use the second CD Drive for installation. Place the Win 98 disk in the 2nd drive prior to the WinXP installation, when you are asked to insert a previous version install disk, just hit the enter key, the install routine will see it. (If you didn't buy the 2nd drive you can install any CD Rom in the vacant slot).

As to the drivers for getting the speed from your SATA drives just follow the directions as prescribed by others in this forum. It works very well. I am getting read speeds of 61 mb/s on WD2500KS drives.

I have installed two different video editing apps on my Mac Pro and they are working flawlessly. Abobe Premiere Pro and Avid Liquid Pro.

Hope this info is helpful!:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.