Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
So I havent been paying close attention to the windows bootcamp or parallels threads for a good month or two simply because I havent been using windows. I got rid of it in my macbook & imac...

However I've just got my order confirmation from Apple for my MacPro and was wondering has the slow drive problems experienced initially been resolved yet ?

Also how is parallels with the macpro, has the issues it too faced also been resolved?

Thanks.

waremaster

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
MacRumorUser said:
So I havent been paying close attention to the windows bootcamp or parallels threads for a good month or two simply because I havent been using windows. I got rid of it in my macbook & imac...

However I've just got my order confirmation from Apple for my MacPro and was wondering has the slow drive problems experienced initially been resolved yet ?

Also how is parallels with the macpro, has the issues it too faced also been resolved?

Thanks.

Bootcamp SATA problems on the Mac Pro have been solved. Parallels still has some issues but it actually works on the Mac Pro now. Everything is moving right along.

Abulia

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2004
Kushiel's Scion
Yes, it's fixed. It requires the latest Mac Pro firmware that was released last week. I got my Mac Pro the day after the firmware was released and my machine was not up to date. So, when yours arrives, check the firmware version BEFORE installing Windows.

BTW, my machine did come with the latest SMC update installed, however.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Thanks Lads, for answering and the advice. It's appreciated. :)

Out of interest Don, why did you go for the 2 ghz rather than standard 2.66 config.
Also what's your experience with the machine? Does it fly through the tasks you need it to do...

Abulia

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2004
Kushiel's Scion
MacRumorUser said:
Thanks Lads, for answering and the advice. It's appreciated. :)

Out of interest Don, why did you go for the 2 ghz rather than standard 2.66 config.
Also what's your experience with the machine? Does it fly through the tasks you need it to do...
I struggled with that one. Since you can upgrade the processor in the Mac Pro I felt less pressure to go with the 2.66 and after looking at the Macworld benchmarks, didn't really see the need.

As for performance on the 2.0 it absolutely screams! :eek:

My plan is to drop in a 3.0 probably in a year when the prices are reasonable, or maybe even a quad core down the road. I just didn't feel the pressure to upgrade the CPU. Now in the "ye olden days" on a G5...that's a different story. ;)

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Thanks man, appreciate that.

Yeah I struggled with the idea of a 2 or 2.6, but guess my head is still in G5 teritory thinking those extra 666mhz are going to make a huge difference :eek:
Forgot completely that at least this machine can be CPU upgraded in the future. I ordered the X1900 for mine too :) If this doesnt play Crysis then I'll scream :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.