Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Impede

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2011
My machine has become unstable since i updated.

I run a Mac Pro 2010 with 16gb of ram and a EVGA Mac edition 680.

Im unable to open aperture without a kernel panic.

It appears I unable to open any applications that makes direct calls to the GPU for rendering, Diablo 3 for instance will kernel panic my machine every single time.

Im also unable to utilize the space bar preview feature, as it will kernel panic my machine as well.

The last oddity is that randomly, (I cant find any rhyme or reason for it) my screen will go black for about 2 seconds, and then come back on. most of the time when this happens I initially think it was another kernel panic, but the machine seems stable for a while after the brief pause. I have also seen occasional static on the display.

I'll also note, I've been using my machine with no problems nothing even showing up in the diagnostic log crash reporter until after i updated to 10.10.

I understand and agree that my machine is not a standard configuration, and it very well may be graphics drivers that have a bug specific to my set up. just saying it is rather annoying, and my machine is not usable for some of the things I would be doing constantly.

I've run the library repair and the scan and repair function for both aperture and diablo 3 and there has been no change. did disk utility and repair permissions as well, no change.

Not really looking for a solution because i bet its something driver related, just giving people a heads up. hopefully the 27 bug reports I've sent to apple get this issue corrected in 10.10.1?

if you are in my situation, just Update the driver, everything seems to be corrected with this new one released Today!
http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/78853/en-us

Last edited:

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
My machine has become unstable since i updated.

I run a Mac Pro 2010 with 16gb of ram and a EVGA Mac edition 680.

I'm not familiar with this card, but sounds like a graphics card with unofficial Mac support (i.e. not officially supported by Apple). As such, Apple wouldn't be responsible for updating their graphics drivers to work with it.

I do see on EVGA's support site a driver last updated in August with Mavericks support, so perhaps that might help.

Impede

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2011
I'm not familiar with this card, but sounds like a graphics card with unofficial Mac support (i.e. not officially supported by Apple). As such, Apple wouldn't be responsible for updating their graphics drivers to work with it.

I do see on EVGA's support site a driver last updated in August with Mavericks support, so perhaps that might help.

that link is for the cuda drivers, and technically I'm not utilizing cuda for anything that is panicking my machine, the card itself functioned just fine until the drivers changed in the OS update.

I sold the ATI Radeon that came with the machine last august after i replaced it with this card. so I'm just SOL at the moment. May go through the motions to downgrade to Mavericks at some point but I can still play everything fine in windows on my machine if I feel the urge to reboot.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
that link is for the cuda drivers, and technically I'm not utilizing cuda for anything that is panicking my machine, the card itself functioned just fine until the drivers changed in the OS update.

Well you know your card better than I do, but I don't believe so; there's a separate driver link in the paragraph about CUDA support.

Impede

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2011
Well you know your card better than I do, but I don't believe so; there's a separate driver link in the paragraph about CUDA support.

I'll give it a whirl. worth a shot anyway.

*** not compatible with 10.10. not surprised. ***

----------

after doing a little searching there is a new NVIDIA driver (released today) on their main site for 10.10! downloading now, ill update if it fixes my issues.

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/78853/en-us

Fixed diablo at least, it boots right up.

Last edited:

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
I'll give it a whirl. worth a shot anyway.

*** not compatible with 10.10. not surprised. ***

That's too bad. Hopefully they'll update with a Mavericks driver soon. I would really recommend downgrading to Mavericks for now, as the reason you're probably getting kernel panics with non-gaming features is that Apple uses hardware acceleration for many OS graphic effects these days.

after doing a little searching there is a new NVIDIA driver on their main site for 10.10! downloading now, ill update if it fixes my issues.

Ah cool, good luck!

ssls6

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2013
I have a 2012 with mac edition 680 and suffered none of these problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.