Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
The Mac Pro design language should have been used. It's the sexiest, most perfectly engineered product Apple has ever designed. A perfect 10/10.

It's round. Black. And nothing like anything you've seen before. :apple:

One more thing: Aren't the moving hands another form of skeuomorphism? I thought we were past that?

Last edited:

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
The Mac Pro design language should have been used. It's the sexiest, most perfectly engineered product Apple has ever designed. A perfect 10/10.

It's round. Black. And nothing like anything you've seen before. :apple:

One more thing: Aren't the moving hands another form of skeuomorphism? I thought we were past that?

No it's how you tell time. It's like saying a calendar shouldn't have monday to sunday and numbers.

If the faces had fake Diamantes or Marble inlays... that's skeuomorphism.

Agree with the mac pro reference and the space grey metal edition is close...

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
No it's how you tell time. It's like saying a calendar shouldn't have monday to sunday and numbers.

If the faces had fake Diamantes or Marble inlays... that's skeuomorphism.

Agree with the mac pro reference and the space grey metal edition is close...

there are other ways of telling time than using moving virtual "mechanical" hands.

numbers.

I'm not saying it's not pretty and nicely done, but I'm just saying it's referencing something that it doesn't have to.

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
there are other ways of telling time than using moving virtual "mechanical" hands.

numbers.

I'm not saying it's not pretty and nicely done, but I'm just saying it's referencing something that it doesn't have to.

But it's not skeuomorphism. Perhaps an Virtual sand timer might be.

And there are other non hand watches that have been shown.

bigred7078

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2010
USA
skeuomorphism or not, at least you have a choice. I think the idea is to appeal to traditional watch wearers as well as gadget geeks. If you don't want the watch hands, choose one of the many others that are strictly numbers.

Apple still has the watch hands on the iPhone clock app, so it's not like this is out of left field.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.