Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ishfaq.rubab

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2018
I have a dual core early 2009 Mac pro.. I was working just fine till one day it just died over me. After tons of research I figured it was the PSU as the diagnostic LEDs were dead aswell so I gave the PSU to this mechanic I knew and he sort of fixed the issue (I Think) cause after the repair the LEDs came back on.. so now for my question. Whenever I connect my pc to the electric outlet, the OVTMP CPUA and OVTMP CPUB constantly keeps on blinking and when I press the diag button the yellow 5V STBY turns on.. can anyone please help me with it?? please

Attachments

• IMG_5632.jpg
    IMG_5632.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,918
  • IMG_5638.PNG
    IMG_5638.PNG
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,183

user1690

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2011
Searching....
I have a dual core early 2009 Mac pro.. I was working just fine till one day it just died over me. After tons of research I figured it was the PSU as the diagnostic LEDs were dead aswell so I gave the PSU to this mechanic I knew and he sort of fixed the issue (I Think) cause after the repair the LEDs came back on.. so now for my question. Whenever I connect my pc to the electric outlet, the OVTMP CPUA and OVTMP CPUB constantly keeps on blinking and when I press the diag button the yellow 5V STBY turns on.. can anyone please help me with it?? please

Those lights mean the CPU's temperature sensors are reporting they are beyond acceptable limits

OVTMP = OVERTEMP
CPUA = CPU/Socket 1
CPUB = CPU/Socket 2

Since the Mac isnt even running i would suspect a bad temperature sensor, not too uncommon. But you may need a whole new Mac/CPU tray. Not too sure, but maybe someone else can explain further? I do know that if you do replace the CPU tray, your fans will run 100% at all times.

Ishfaq.rubab

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2018
Those lights mean the CPU's temperature sensors are reporting they are beyond acceptable limits

OVTMP = OVERTEMP
CPUA = CPU/Socket 1
CPUB = CPU/Socket 2

Since the Mac isnt even running i would suspect a bad temperature sensor, not too uncommon. But you may need a whole new Mac/CPU tray. Not too sure, but maybe someone else can explain further? I do know that if you do replace the CPU tray, your fans will run 100% at all times.

One thing I completely missed out. whenever I plug my mac to the power outlet. the RED LED indicator starts blinking contstantly, is that normal?

Alex Sanders74

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2013
Toronto, Canada

OVTMP = OVERTEMP
CPUA = CPU/Socket 1
CPUB = CPU/Socket 2

If you put a 2010 or 2012 cpu tray into a 2009 board, this will happen. If it’s a 2009 tray this isn’t an issue whatsoever. It’s a SMC issue.

CPU overtemp lights were fixed on another thread I replied to by swapping the 3V battery on the logic board. I would start there.

Ishfaq.rubab

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2018
tray is not the issue and the PRAM battery was changed. such a complicated machine.

Bion1nc

macrumors member
May 3, 2014
One thing I completely missed out. whenever I plug my mac to the power outlet. the RED LED indicator starts blinking contstantly, is that normal?

Your PSU is on its way out... Change it ... Hope that helps..
[doublepost=1544067364][/doublepost]

At this point it could be anything, I replied PSU but did not see the post you had made above... I would also swap the CPU Tray now... Where did you get your PSU from? Did buy that new?

Reactions: Alex Sanders74

Alex Sanders74

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2013
Toronto, Canada
Used psu’s are on eBay for ok prices. Agree with Bion1nc. It’s the only factor that’s been messed with that’s seems to still be creating problems.

Three short blinks in succession usually would indicate a ram issue, so that’s a possibility. You didn’t say previously what the blinking lights were doing or if there was a pattern to them. I’ve seen ram fail randomly on some 3,1 and 4,1 towers.

Last edited:

Bion1nc

macrumors member
May 3, 2014
OVTMP = OVERTEMP
CPUA = CPU/Socket 1
CPUB = CPU/Socket 2

Means there was a fault but does not mean at all that the CPU were Overheating It just means there was a fault count on the CPU tray ... to me the PSU is Bad but if you say that you had changed it and that you still have the same issue then I would say the next step would be changing the Tray. But that's big to assume it could be.

Now what's going on when you press the power button? Also inside the machine you have a white button, where the LED's
What happens when you press it? while your machine is plugged?

Now if your PSU isn't new I could really be again the PSU I know you do not want to pay all price but If I were you I would put it New, so that you will after that discard the PSU for sure...

As I said it could be the tray, CPU's that went bad one or two, The backplane board as well like I said could be anything at this point... Best would be you bringing it at the closest Apple Store and have it diagnosed...

GSX will smoke....lol
Sorry to hear that the MacPro gives you troubles.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.