Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gameofficial

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2021
I have two Mac Pros (1,1 and 3,1) and they work fine. But the Apple logo does not display on power on and boot. The display(s) do not display anything until the Mac Pro completes the boot process and gets to the login screen. I tried all types of monitors with various connections and tried resetting SMC and PVRAM. Any ideas?

SuperMatt

Suspended
Mar 28, 2002
This is perfectly normal behavior for most graphic cards. You can use a wide variety of graphic cards in these Macs, but only certain ones will display the Apple logo. Some can be “flashed” to get the logo at boot as well.

gameofficial

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2021
I think the Mac Pro (1,1) is the original video card. It is an Nvidia GeForce GT 120 with Apple Inc. Model No: A1310 (displayed on the back of the video card). The Mac Pro (3,1) has an ATI Radeon 5770 and I do not think that was the original video card. I need to flash both, so I need to figure that part out next.....Thanks for the feedback.

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
I think the Mac Pro (1,1) is the original video card. It is an Nvidia GeForce GT 120 with Apple Inc. Model No: A1310 (displayed on the back of the video card). The Mac Pro (3,1) has an ATI Radeon 5770 and I do not think that was the original video card. I need to flash both, so I need to figure that part out next.....Thanks for the feedback.

The GT120 will get you boot-screen on the MP 3,1. It's the original video card for MP3,1, not MP1,1.
Carefully flash the Radeon 5770 and it may get you boot screen on both MP1,1 and MP3,1.

gameofficial

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2021
I put the GT120 back in the Mac Pro (3,1) and the boot screen did not come up. Does it work for both ports or just the DVI port?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.