Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joel Flounder

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2016
Vienna, Austria
Hello everybody,

I'm new to this forum and I wanted to ask the following question: I have bought a Mac Pro in 2008 which is a 3.1 (early 2008). I have run it a long time under Leopard with the original video card, and I finally upgraded to Yosemite, and after a short time the video card couldn't handle that anymore and the computer wouldn't boot anymore at all. Now I finally have a new video card, the ATI Radeon HD5770 1GB (it's not the special Mac Edition but I guess it has been refurbished for Mac since I have the boot screen and everything), and everything works fine again. There is just one issue that I hope to resolve: The visuals on my HP w2207h display show a very slight white border on one side of dark elements, for example dark letters on colored background, they always have this white, very thin "shadow". It's bad when you do graphics work.

I was asking myself if this may be due to the fact that I am still using a VGA/DVI cable to connect the card to the display. Before the video card upgrade, this was inevitable because the original card didn't have a HDMI output. But the new card actually has one and the display had one right from the start, so I wanted to ask if this issue is likely to be resolved if I connect via HDMI - or is there no possible relation?

Thanks for replying if this problem is known to anybody.

Best,
Joel

filmak

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2012
between earth and heaven
HDMI is a pure digital connection, the current one the you are using is analog, your monitor has one analog VGA 15 pin connector and one HDMI. So it would definitely be a better way to avoid the analog to digital conversion and go with HDMI.
I believe that you 'll have better performance, so give it a try.:)

Anyway if you still have problems it may be time to upgrade your monitor, it's already a bit old, and certainly there are better options for graphics work.

Also check these:
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Video-Display-and-Touch/Monitor-Shadows/td-p/320987
http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/41557-shadows-artifacts-showing-my-desktop.html

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00850059
HP says:
Picture is fuzzy and has ghosting shadowing problem:

Adjust the contrast and brightness controls.
Make sure you are not using an extension cable or switch box. We recommend plugging the monitor directly into the video card output connector on the back of your computer.
For VGA input, use the auto-adjustment feature to try to fix this problem.

Reactions: ActionableMango

Joel Flounder

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2016
Vienna, Austria
Hello Filmak,

thank you very much for your feedback! I'll check the links and think about a new display, but first go and buy an HDMI cable!

Best,
Joel

Reactions: filmak
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.