Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sparkie7

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
I'm on OS X El Capitan 10.11.16, is this the latest OS I can update to?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I'm on OS X El Capitan 10.11.16, is this the latest OS I can update to?
While the last officially supported macOS version for an early-2008 Mac Pro is El Capitan, if you have a GPU that supports METAL, you can install OpenCore and run Big Sur (or even Monterey) easily.

Reactions: sparkie7

sparkie7

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
While the last officially supported macOS version for an early-2008 Mac Pro is El Capitan, if you have a GPU that supports METAL, you can install OpenCore and run Big Sur (or even Monterey) easily.

I only have an ATI Radeon HD 3870 + ATI Radeon HD 4870

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I only have an ATI Radeon HD 3870 + ATI Radeon HD 4870
High Sierra works fine with non-METAL GPUs. You can read more on this thread:

There are very affordable METAL supported GPUs, read my post below:

Reactions: sparkie7

sparkie7

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
High Sierra works fine with non-METAL GPUs. You can read more on this thread:

There are very affordable METAL supported GPUs, read my post below:

Thanks. I guess it's worth looking into if I can keep my 2008 war horse going...

Popsi-DBW

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2022
Hi Alex, hope you are keeping well. I installed Monterey with OCLP (latest ver), everything seems to work fine, except Bluetooth, I cannot switch it on, the .plist file is not in the folder, any suggestions for a fix? Also, is it easier to get a dongle for both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth? One other thing, can I use a Original Readon Sapphire RX580, I am currently using a GeForce GTX 680?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Hi Alex, hope you are keeping well. I installed Monterey with OCLP (latest ver), everything seems to work fine, except Bluetooth, I cannot switch it on, the .plist file is not in the folder, any suggestions for a fix?

I'm not an OCLP user, so, I can't advice on anything related to it, but you should upgrade your AirPort Extreme if you want to have BT/Wi-Fi without issues with modern macOS releases.

Also, is it easier to get a dongle for both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth?

If you can find not that works, probably. Also look at Fenvi FV919 if you have an unused PCIe slot.

One other thing, can I use a Original Readon Sapphire RX580, I am currently using a GeForce GTX 680?

Yes, but you need specific patches for any AMD GPU, so, it's better to ask on the Monterey unsupported threads or OCLP Discord server for help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.