Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dex22

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2003
Round Rock, TX
Hi everyone...

I'm in the envious position that I'll be buying a new Mac Pro for work in the next few weeks. I'm hoping the funding will materialize just after the new machines are announced at NAB. I've already selected an HD-SDI card with help from posters here...

I also need to purchase a large, fast storage solution for storing 10 bit uncompressed 4:2:2 HD from a Varicam - that's 110MB/sec, according to the spec sheet (MB, not Mb)...

I've looked at the XServe RAID storage and don't like the price. I'm looking for 3-4TB of usable storage that can manage a sustained 120+MB/sec and is resilient.

What non-Apple options are out there that work well and seamlessly with the Mac?

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
You can try getting a hardware RAID controller and a Linux box set up as a Samba server.

It won't be "seamless", but it will be pretty damned good.

(Considering an XServe costs like 3 Mac Pros, it is more than pretty damned good)

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Southern California
You can try getting a hardware RAID controller and a Linux box set up as a Samba server.

There's no way that can keep up with the requirement of 120 MB/s. Even with gigabit ethernet, that's right at the theoretical limit without considering a whole host of bottlenecks that'll slow it down way below that.

To the OP, are you absolutely sure that's 110 megabytes per second? I don't know enough about high end video stuff, but the little I found from Google (search various combinations of HD, Varicam, mbps, etc) only came up with as much as 100 Mbps (bits). If it's bits and not bytes, then there are a whole bunch more possibilities. Even so, I'd hesitate to go with anything networked, as sustained throughput won't be guaranteed.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
Could you show us a link of what you already have so we can confirm the speed requirements?

dex22

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2003
Round Rock, TX
I'll be importing uncompressed HD streams using HD-SDI. The specs for that say "1.485Gbits/sec"

10 bit uncompressed 720P60 4:2:2 video is 140MBytes/sec.
10 bit uncompressed 1080P25 4:2:2 video is 132MBytes/sec.

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/support/detail.asp?techID=30

Note: this is for 60fps, and I'll be doing 24P capture, but the varicam records everything as 60fps and leaves it to the NLE to do the pulldown.

mustard

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2005
NJ
I would recommend a secure solution (raid 5) the Lacie S2S might suite your needs

Link

I actually own the S1S but me needs are slightly less

dex22

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2003
Round Rock, TX
Thanks, Pengu and Mustard :)

I'm looking closely at some of the higher end systems you listed.

I dread to think how long it will take to convert this content for DVD! I'm also hoping for good Blu-ray or HD-DVD burner support by late fall.

Is anyone out these using an uncompressed HD workflow who might point out some catches and snags I might face?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.