Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stephenmckeague

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 5, 2006
Since Intel just released the LGA771 socket for the xeon's does that mean that all future LGA771 processors will be a drop in replacement for the current motherboard. I know that with AMD processors this is pretty much the case regardless of chipset but I've heard that compatibility of Intel processors also depends on your chipset (I.e. a future processor may not be compatible with the current Mac Pro even though they have the same socket)

I was also informed that when upgrading an AMD processor it additionally improves the memory clock speed (or something :eek:) but this was not the case with Intel processors. Can anyone help me with this??

SMM

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2006
Tiger Mountain - WA State
Intel publishes white papers on their forward-looking architectural plans (minus secret proprietary stuff). That is probably your best source for what may happen in the 'future'.

vohdoun

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
Far away from Earth.
I know that with AMD processors this is pretty much the case regardless of chipset but I've heard that compatibility of Intel processors also depends on your chipset (I.e. a future processor may not be compatible with the current Mac Pro even though they have the same socket)

My biggest gripe with AMD is they keep changing the god damn sockets so quickly all the time.

Since Socket A (462) theres been like 4 or 5 socket changes in the past 3 years. After Socket A with the move to AMD64, think it was Socket 754, then 940 which required ECC memory then 939, can't remember if there was two versions that required ECC or non registered memory. I do remember the 939 part allowed non registered DDR, then they switched over to AM2 for DDR2 which isn't much better than s939 which can't keep up with the Core 2 Duo's. Then there was talks of AM3, don't know if that was ever finalized.

AMD really knows how to screw people on motherboard changes, I'll give them that as theres been so many people on s939!

I was also informed that when upgrading an AMD processor it additionally improves the memory clock speed (or something :eek:) but this was not the case with Intel processors. Can anyone help me with this??

Only thing I can think of with that is the HyperTransport Bus 2000 / 1600 MT/s. As the majority of AMD chips are 200FSB x2.

stephenmckeague

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 5, 2006
Yea after socket A there was 754 and 939 (940 was never aimed at consumers - or at least regular ones) and now amd2. However do you know if any I can drop all future Intel LGA771 processors into todays mac pro or does Intel processor compatibility depend on mobo chipset as well??? (E.g was this the case with the last Intel xeon socket??)

dusanv

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2006
I think they said on the dev conference last year they'll release a Penryn based LGA771 chip late this year or next. I wouldn't bet my life on this though. Penryn is a die shrink of Core2 (to 45nm) so think higher frequencies and more cache memory. This is the roadmap:
server-roadmap.gif

Note that the 5000 chipset in the MacPro dates from the P4 Xeon days and that they released a Core 2 based chip for it (you can put a P4 Xeon in the Mac Pro, lol).

stephenmckeague

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 5, 2006
Thanks for that mate!! I understand the roadmap but just want clarified, will all future 5xxx processors be compatable with the current mac pro's 5000 chipset motherboard, or is it only 50xx processors which are compatable with the 5000 chipset motherboard (or is there *absolutely* no rule nor past examples of this and it totally depends on the individual processor)???

Cheers :)

dusanv

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2006
Read this. I think it looks likely but you make up your mind.
The next version of Woodcrest/Clovertown (@45nm) looks to be compatible with our 5000 chipset in Mac Pro. I keep calling the chip Penryn (the next version) although that'll be the 45 nm laptop version. 45 nm desktop version is Wolfdale and server version is Harpertown (that's ours).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.