Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mvanhemert

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2006
Hi,

Finaly today i got my Mac Pro . It was pre-installed with a 160 GB HD, 2gigs of mem and an ATI 1900 Card. I have 3 samsung 300 GB drives. Unfortunaly bay 3 and 4 are not working , no matter what i tried. when i swap the disks into bay 2 it's working. I expect a loose sata contact or perhaps a faulty one. How can i access the sata connectors on the mainboard to check this ? I already did a try but i can't get the memory box out. Or isn't this neccesary ?

Thanks in advance

Fleetwood Mac

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2006
Canada
Personally, I think it's a real bad idea to try and take you MP apart yourself. Unless you know exactly just what you doing, I'd have your shiny new multiple thousand dollar machine looked at by either Apple or someone Apple Certified.

bradc

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2006
Canader eh
That's weird. I'll have to take a closer look but when I installed my drives I just assumed the SATA connectors were soldered on...I think you can find a picture/detailed 'map' of the wiring on Apple.

mvanhemert

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2006
iDuck said:
Personally, I think it's a real bad idea to try and take you MP apart yourself. Unless you know exactly just what you doing, I'd have your shiny new multiple thousand dollar machine looked at by either Apple or someone Apple Certified.

I will first call apple support to hear what they have to say about it. If it's easy i will try to figure out where the sata connectors reside.

MaxPower2k6

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2006
Just on the off chance you haven't tried this, go into Disk Utility and see if the drives show up there. If they do, select them and click Mount in the toolbar. When I first put drives in Bays 2 and 3, the drive in Bay 2 mounted automatically, but I had to manually mount the one in Bay 3. Since then, it's mounted on its own, just not that first time. Otherwise, definitely call Apple. Don't try to take it apart yourself.

mvanhemert

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2006
bay 3 and 4 now working ! (CLOSED)

Hi guys,

Thankd for the reply's. The problem was indeed a loose sata connector on the mainboard. I took out the vent's in front and pushed back the connectors. Now everything is working !!!!!

Thanks for your help !!!!

nojstevens

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2007
Austin, TX
Hi mvanhemert,

I have the same problem that you had - Bays 3 and 4 not working on my Mac Pro - could you describe what and where on the motherboard you fixed - I can't seem to remove the fan - how did you do this?

Thanks in advance for your help

Jon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.