Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ronni3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 26, 2006
Chicago, IL
I installed the drive in my Mac Pro and it works and all, but whenever I press the Eject key it ejects both of my optical disk drive trays, primary & secondary. By the way, I had to remove the original disk drive, Sony 111D, and place it in the secondary bay and place the Lite-On drive on the Primary, upper most, bay. I have no idea if this changed anything settings or what not, but now when I do the above both trays pop out.

Anyone have an idea why?

Link to Lite-On drive.

waremaster

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
I installed the drive in my Mac Pro and it works and all, but whenever I press the Eject key it ejects both of my optical disk drive trays, primary & secondary. By the way, I had to remove the original disk drive, Sony 111D, and place it in the secondary bay and place the Lite-On drive on the Primary, upper most, bay. I have no idea if this changed anything settings or what not, but now when I do the above both trays pop out.

Anyone have an idea why?

Link to Lite-On drive.

Are both drives set for cable select or are they set as master and slave? By any chance are both drives set as master? Top drive should be master bottom slave or both set to cable select.

ronni3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 26, 2006
Chicago, IL
Both are set to Cable-Select. That was the first thing I suspected, but it wasn't that. I think it could be the result of running Parallels. This only started occurring after installing Parallels.

You know what, now that I think about it it only happens when I have Parallels running. Could it be possible when Parallels uses one of the optical drives for the virtual OS that OSX gets confused as to which drive I am asking to open, i.e. virtual (real Sony) drive versus the Lite-On drive?

waremaster

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
Both are set to Cable-Select. That was the first thing I suspected, but it wasn't that. I think it could be the result of running Parallels. This only started occurring after installing Parallels.

You know what, now that I think about it it only happens when I have Parallels running. Could it be possible when Parallels uses one of the optical drives for the virtual OS that OSX gets confused as to which drive I am asking to open, i.e. virtual (real Sony) drive versus the Lite-On drive?

I have dual drives in my Mac Pro. When I get home I will see if that happens on mine in parallels. I know for a fact that it does not happen in bootcamp though.

ronni3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 26, 2006
Chicago, IL
I didn't really like Bootcamp and instead went with Parallels. I may decide to try Bootcamp again, but for the moment I enjoy Parallels. My decision was also probably based on the fact that I didn't like using one or the other, whereas with Parallels I can use both.

Since you are using Bootcamp, how is the gaming on that end using XP? Do you get the full potential out of the video card versus very little in Parallels?

waremaster

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
I didn't really like Bootcamp and instead went with Parallels. I may decide to try Bootcamp again, but for the moment I enjoy Parallels. My decision was also probably based on the fact that I didn't like using one or the other, whereas with Parallels I can use both.

Since you are using Bootcamp, how is the gaming on that end using XP? Do you get the full potential out of the video card versus very little in Parallels?

I use both parallels and bootcamp. I do game in bootcamp quite often. I play BF1942, BF2 and BF2142 quite allot and it games beautifully and I have also benchmarked the machine using 3dmark 03, 05, and 06 and the machine benches favorably to a PC. I also use the Mac Pro for Autocad 2007 and some Maya work. And again the machine performs great.

waremaster

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
When I press eject on my keyboard while in parallels the top drive ejects not both. This is with the latest Official release. Build 1970

ronni3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 26, 2006
Chicago, IL
This is with the latest Official release. Build 1970

That's weird! I have Build 3120. Did they finally release the finished software yet, or are they still only releasing Builds? :confused:

I think I will be installing Bootcamp & WinXp once again, jst so I can enjoy all my games once again. :D

waremaster

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
That's weird! I have Build 3120. Did they finally release the finished software yet, or are they still only releasing Builds? :confused:

I think I will be installing Bootcamp & WinXp once again, jst so I can enjoy all my games once again. :D

3120 is a beta RC so it is newer than what I have but I chose not to install the beta build as I didnt want to play around doing install after install. I will upgrade to the next Official build as soon as it becomes available.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.