Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

appkov

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2009
Hello all, I use a Mac Pro (late 2013) "trashcan" as my everyday computer. The power cable is fraying at the end where it connects to the computer. Can I replace the cable with a standard computer power cable (cheaper) or do I need to purchase an Apple replacement cable for my specific trashcan model? Thanks :)

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hello all, I use a Mac Pro (late 2013) "trashcan" as my everyday computer. The power cable is fraying at the end where it connects to the computer. Can I replace the cable with a standard computer power cable (cheaper) or do I need to purchase an Apple replacement cable for my specific trashcan model? Thanks :)
A standard PC power cable works fine in those.

Reactions: rm5

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010

The only thing is to avoid the ones with flat surround trim pieces. Otherwise a standard monitor power cable should work.

When I take my 6,1 with me, I'm using the power cable from a 2006 iMac. It does the job, though doesn't look good because of the surrounding trim.

TzunamiOSX

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2009
Germany

👍👍👍
IMG_2438.jpg

appkov

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2009
The only thing is to avoid the ones with flat surround trim pieces. Otherwise a standard monitor power cable should work.

When I take my 6,1 with me, I'm using the power cable from a 2006 iMac. It does the job, though doesn't look good because of the surrounding trim.
Thank you! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.