Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TobiasT

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2019
MP 1.1-5.1 are nostalgic junk.
MP 6.1 is outperformed by base new Mac models.
MP 7.1 is out of the new Apple-silicon-oriented software. R.I.P.
MP 8.1 with no graphics/ram/cpu upgrade capabilities is not a real MP. The Mac Studio is way better option for most users.

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
In short, I totally agree with you. Lemme break it down even further though:

Mac Pro 1,1 and 2,1 - unusable because of 32-bit EFI limitation. This has been the case for at least 10 years
Mac Pro 3,1 - unusable because it's so old and the CPUs are so slow
Mac Pro 4,1-5,1 - barely usable. Only usable is you can deal with old, slow Xeons. Doesn't support the latest gen AMD GPUs, so as soon as the 6000 series is obsolete, this machine's done for.
Mac Pro 6,1 - Just a terrible machine that's still extraordinarily expensive for what it is
Mac Pro 7,1 - The only one that's truly "usable" at least for now. It'll eventually die out I'm sure, as more Intel Macs lose support
Mac14,8 or whatever it is - not really a Mac Pro, because you can't upgrade anything, you can only add in PCI-e cards that are only used for very specific work like Pro Tools HDX cards for DSP processing in PT or capture cards for cameras, etc. Mac Studio is more cost-effective, even with the M2 Ultra

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014
Curious if you believe it could come back to life in a future version.

What we are likely to get with the next Mac Pro is:
(1) M3 extreme (double Ultra chip)
(2) *maybe* PCIe5.

Unlikely to get:
(3) ECC memory
(4) Upgradable RAM
(5) Upgradable CPU
(6) GPU drivers to use 3rd party graphics cards

My feeling if it doesnt offer (6) 3rd party GPU and (3) ECC and (4) upgradable RAM it's not a real Mac Pro. Perhaps if they offer a model with say 512GB of ram that I could forgo that, but the other parts are essential.

Curious what other thinks is the minimum set of features to make a legit Mac Pro (and I agree, the current M2 Ultra is not a legit Mac Pro, it's an embarrassment).

Reactions: vsc

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Curious if you believe it could come back to life in a future version.
Ah, it will be all happiness and roses if it comes back as a black, round machine as the OP had previously expressed a liking to that and a hatred for anything else Mac Pro.

I still want to buy one of these “cheap” 7,1 machines that the OP has spoken about numerous times. I never see them when I look on eBay..

Look up posting history.

ADDvanced

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2015
I still use my maxxed out 5.1 daily. Incredible machine and works great doing HD video. I don’t bother w 4k since most content is viewed on phones.

Reactions: George Dawes

rpmurray

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2017
Back End of Beyond
Apple has decided to just make smaller machines/devices that are not upgradable and have a limited shelf life so they need to replaced on a regular cycle. Subscription hardware if you will.

Reactions: 2ndStreet

vsc

macrumors member
May 8, 2014
I still use my maxxed out 5.1 daily. Incredible machine and works great doing HD video. I don’t bother w 4k since most content is viewed on phones.
Something similar. Editing still imagery with LightRoom, Photo Shop and the usual suspects like Topaz with a 30" display... The 5,1 maxed out does a great job with this task.

Though a Studio is the likely replacement when it is time unless Apple changes their M-silicon implementation to better address a replacement for the Intel MacPro machines.

And on this latter point I'm really skeptical given the choices Apple made are focused on lower power. Notable is that the cost of device development is likely something most people are not aware of. It's huge. The MacPro market simply is not large enough to justify the investment in unique silicon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.