Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. lax

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 6, 2007
Canada
Hello all, I am fairly close to buying a new computer and i would like to choose a Mac for obvious reasons.

My question is as follows, if i were to buy a Mac Pro with a Radeon X1900 as the primary card, could i also buy a Geforce 8800 GTX and use it only in windows mode. I would like to run each card in PCI-E 16x separately (The Radeon in OSX and the Geforce in Vista)

Is this possible?

Thanks in advance.

Mr. lax

waremaster

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
Hello all, I am fairly close to buying a new computer and i would like to choose a Mac for obvious reasons.

My question is as follows, if i were to buy a Mac Pro with a Radeon X1900 as the primary card, could i also buy a Geforce 8800 GTX and use it only in windows mode. I would like to run each card in PCI-E 16x separately (The Radeon in OSX and the Geforce in Vista)

Is this possible?

Thanks in advance.

Mr. lax
Short answer is no it's not possible.

The long answer is The ATI x1900xt takes 2 slots as does the 8800GTX both are PCI-E 16x cards you do not have enough PCI-E bandwidth to run 2 cards at 16x the 4 slots share 24x bandwidth and slot 1 is typically the 16x slot. On top of that OSX does not even start up with an 8800GTX at this time. And to further complicate matters you do not get enough power from the 6pin miniature Molex connectors that are on the motherboard for both of those cards.

Redneck1089

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2004
Short answer is no it's not possible.

The long answer is The ATI x1900xt takes 2 slots as does the 8800GTX both are PCI-E 16x cards you do not have enough PCI-E bandwidth to run 2 cards at 16x the 4 slots share 24x bandwidth and slot 1 is typically the 16x slot. On top of that OSX does not even start up with an 8800GTX at this time. And to further complicate matters you do not get enough power from the 6pin miniature Molex connectors that are on the motherboard for both of those cards.

Are you sure this is correct? I think people have done it on here...

EDIT: Wait, so if I want to use a DX 10 card for gaming, I will have to remove my X1900 XT, install the DX 10 card, and then boot into Windows, correct? I can live with that... Anything for Crysis! *sigh*

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Are you sure this is correct? I think people have done it on here...

EDIT: Wait, so if I want to use a DX 10 card for gaming, I will have to remove my X1900 XT, install the DX 10 card, and then boot into Windows, correct? I can live with that... Anything for Crysis! *sigh*

The first two slots max out at 75W, and each of the aux. power connectors is 75W.

So 1 really big card using both aux. power connectors, or two 150W cards using a single aux. power connector each.

Mr. lax

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 6, 2007
Canada
I wouldnt want to run them both at the same time, i would just want to have a more powerful DX 10 card for use in windows and then without having to open the case switch to a mac card (with both in PCI-E 16x)

Redneck1089

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2004
I wouldnt want to run them both at the same time, i would just want to have a more powerful DX 10 card for use in windows and then without having to open the case switch to a mac card (with both in PCI-E 16x)

Meh, to me it's a small price to pay for the extra selection and cheaper GPU's for Windows. It takes all of 3 minutes to change graphics cards.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.